TJ and WiFi

I'm headed to LA for a week. I have to be on site the two weekends, but I can work from anywhere during the week. I am considering just checking into a hotel in TJ for those days (love that flat rate, no receipt per-diem!). But, I still have to be able to conduct waaaaay to many Zoom/Teams meetings.

How is the wifi at Puebla Amigo, Grand Hotel or Ticuan?
Grand Hotel wifi has always been good to me. Never any issues whatsoever. If signal gets weak in your room, the lobby's signal always is reliable and they might have some office spaces too.
I've had good wifi in all three of those properties. I've never tried to do a Zoom/Teams call, but plenty of Whatsapp video chats.
How is the wifi at Puebla Amigo, Grand Hotel or Ticuan? Originally Posted by VraiSapuer
Fastest hotel WiFi is at La Villa de Zaragoza, on Madero behind the Jai-Alai. It uses three different ISPs running in parallel because of our area's problems with DNS outages.

Pueblo Amigo and Ticuan are all hat and no cattle; I don't have up-to-date information on the Grand's WiFi but its internet should be good even if you need to borrow a Cat5 cable from the front desk.
Never had an issue with wifi or cell service in TJ.

In fact many times my phone does not even roam in TJ and uses US Cell towers.

Even then, most major carriers have agreements for cell, text, and internet across. You can just use your hotspot.
In fact many times my phone does not even roam in TJ and uses US Cell towers. Originally Posted by Fizley
That was true about fifteen years ago, when the US was still pre-3G. We used to carry two cell phones (one 3G Mexican and one 2G US) and the US phones only worked where there was line-of-sight to the cell towers in San Ysidro.
Since then, like maybe even ten years back, the laws here changed such that foreign entities may purchase shares in Mexican telephony, banking, and retail gasoline and consequently cross-border consumerism is almost seamless now. For example, I now carry only one cell phone in the Mexican AT&T network and can use it throughout North America. Best to check with your own carrier to see what their terms are, though.
As for banking, B of A, Wells Fargo, CitiBank, and Chase all bought shares in one Mexican bank or another partly to encourage Mexican workers in the US to send cash to their families in Mexico. However, they failed to update their cards to include RFID chips, a requirement in Mexico and Europe, so many US cards continue to be rejected at ATMs and points of sale down here. Most US banks will issue you a chipped card if you ask them, something you would want to do sooner rather than later.