Good Sex, Good Mood, Less Stress

Sex and stress are linked in several ways. Most of us instinctively know this already, and feel it unmistakably when a particularly stressful week or two zaps us of our sex drive. But while stress can have a hand in low libido, it can also be a great stress reliever, which is why jokes about uptight bosses needing a good roll in the hay are always good for at least one knowing chuckle. Have you ever wondered how much truth there was to the idea that sex works nicely as a stress salve? Here’s some research on stress and sex:

Good Sex and Good Mood
In an Arizona State University study on 58 middle-aged women, physical affection or sexual behavior with a partner significantly predicted lower negative mood and stress, and higher positive mood the following day. Simply put, researchers found that sex and physical intimacy led women to feel less stressed and be in a better mood the next day. (These results weren’t found when women had orgasms without a partner.) Too bad for toys

Good Mood and Good Sex
The same study found that being in a good mood predicted more physical affection and sexual activity with a partner the next day, showing that the sex-stress management connection works both ways: sex can lead you to feel less stressed, and being less stressed (or at least in a better mood) can lead to more sex. Further proof of the importance of effective stress management!

Sex and Blood Pressure
Another study examined participants’ blood pressure as a measure of their stress responses during public speaking or challenging math problems—situations that often elicit stress. It was found that those who had recently had intercourse tended to have either lower baseline blood pressures, less of a blood pressure rise during stressful events, or both. These findings suggest that having sex can lead to less of a stress response during challenging situations, which is a good thing. Manage blood pressure: Have a good erection.

Sex and Stress Response
Along those lines, another study looked at women’s heart rate and cortisol levels as a measure of stress response, and found that women exhibited less of a stress response after ‘positive physical contact’ with a partner. Emotional support alone didn’t have the same effect. Less cortisol: Less Fat around the waist.

Now Go, Be Fruitful and Sexiply...

Jules

Sources:

Brody S. Blood pressure reactivity to stress is better for people who recently had penile-vaginal intercourse than for people who had other or no sexual activity. Biological Psuchology. February, 2006.

Burleson MH, Trevathan WR, Todd M. In the mood for love or vice versa? Exploring the relations among sexual activity, physical affection, affect, and stress in the daily lives of mid-aged women. Archives of Sexual Behavior, June 2007.

Ditzen B, Neumann ID, Bodenmann G, von Dawans B, Turner RA, Ehlert U, Heinrichs M. Effects of different kinds of couple interaction on cortisol and heart rate responses to stress in women. Psychoneuroendocrinology. June, 2007.
  • ezman
  • 01-25-2010, 04:07 PM
I knew there was a reason I felt better after sex ...
  • PeAcH
  • 01-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Sex is great!

I think we should all do it more often..
Thanks alot Jules, this may be the best post ever.

Gotta love a woman that does her research. Appreciate you sharing this with us.
I know sex yesterday made today a very good day......u nk::bow _arrow:

Sex and Blood Pressure
Another study examined participants’ blood pressure as a measure of their stress responses during public speaking or challenging math problems—situations that often elicit stress. It was found that those who had recently had intercourse tended to have either lower baseline blood pressures, less of a blood pressure rise during stressful events, or both. These findings suggest that having sex can lead to less of a stress response during challenging situations, which is a good thing. Manage blood pressure: Have a good erection.
Originally Posted by julesmilano
Hmmm, I wonder if my health insurance will pay for my hobby appointments or at least let me get by with a co-pay?
Now Go, Be Fruitful and Sexiply... Originally Posted by julesmilano
Milano, you even have footnotes and citations! Good heavens, woman, that's one more reason I luv you as much as I do. That is, besides (nudge-nudge) "playing doctor" with you.

Moscow