computer, virus protection??

Can someone please tell me what to use for these damn pop ups???
My comp was fine a few wees ago and now pop ups won't stop!!!
Any suggestions for a computer, virus protection so this doesnt happen again?
Wear eye wear.
webroot works good.
The following is probably overkill for some folks, but when a hazel eyed gal asks…

I’ll split this into two sections. One for internet pop-ups, and one for virus.
For pop-ups:
Depending on the Internet browser that you’re using, within the Browser itself is a pop-up control.
If you’re using Internet Explorer 9 (or the others), click on Tools at the top of the screen in the Menu Bar, and about halfway down the sublevel menu, is the built in pop-up blocker that can be turned on.
For Chrome, you have to go into advanced settings. Here’s their web page that explains that:
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en
However, most internet sites that want to display pop-ups are pretty good about sneaking their stuff past the internet browser pop-up blockers. Thus, it’s possible that you’re seeing this even if the browser pop-up blocking is on. And, some these sites will intentionally try to load a bit of software into your machine to let pop-ups run and run, etc. Techie’s call this “adware”. By chance did you download something a couple weeks ago? Sometimes other stuff comes along, the so called Trojen horse method.

For Virus (including adware):
The only way to deal with adware (and other virus issues) is to have a decent virus blocking, fix-it, remove-it, program that includes an internet pop-up blocker as part of its program. I’m assuming that you have whatever the computer manufacturer had preinstalled on the machine. So check to see if there’s a pop-up blocking function within that and turn it on. However, most of the manufacturer preinstalled virus programs are the freebe bare bones basic programs. So, an upgraded virus program needs to be considered. Shop, and make sure whatever you’re looking at can handle what you do. Just guessing, but perhaps you need something that can handle super heavy internet use. But, flash drives will also get plugged in. I’ve used McAffee, BitDefender, AVG, Avast, Norton, TrendMicro, MalwareBytes, Sophos and others that I’ve forgotten. Most do the same things, so make sure what you need is covered and ignore the rest. Currently, I use Kaspersky’s “Internet Security” program, on several machines, which is geared to heavy internet usage and has some additional nifty tools.

Here’s a link to one of the trade on-line magazines that rates the 2014 virus products.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp
Get AVG it's the best IMHO.
Can someone please tell me what to use for these damn pop ups???
My comp was fine a few wees ago and now pop ups won't stop!!!
Any suggestions for a computer, virus protection so this doesnt happen again? Originally Posted by Angel Eyes Lacey
wrt popups:
what sites are you visiting when the popups display?
what are the popups?
generally, popups dont just pop-up. there are some viruses that do this, but generally, something on a site is allowing them to do so [the site is selling access just like banner ads, etc.]

so, it might be the sight. i know that last week, eccie was allowing popups from several sights when i clicked on threads or other eccie links.

Unique_Carpenter gave some good suggestions for stopping them from appearing.

wrt virus protection,
does your computer already have virus protection?
some of the major names are McAfee, Norton, AVG, and the others in the PC Mag article Unique_Carpenter linked to. some cost $20-100, some are free.

good luck!
Get AVG it's the best IMHO. Originally Posted by str8.2.bbbj
I had AVG but, every time it updated, it hijacked my default search engine and home page. It was easy to fix, but annoying.

I switched to Avast. Now I get to listen to its daily announcement that it has updated my virus database.

You get what you pay for. They are both free - but good.
thank you guys so much for the info...although this angel is not too smart when it come to computers lol I am electronically challenged
But I am def going to do a lil research on the suggestions and go from there. I know yall could help
xoxo
If you ever look at the third party cookies being loaded on your device, it'll make you sick!!!! Got to be a better way of generating revenue than torturing the members that make your site!
I used to have McAfee, but found Norton far superior.
Avast.
I use kasperky and i also run ccleaner once a month