military - parent/child combo

just curious.

I was read some of John McCain's military background. I noticed that John was serving on the fleet commanded by his father, Admiral McCain during the Vietnam war.

my question is, is this still allowed in todays military where parent and their children are in the same unit or command?
Only for the political
I know of an instance during Desert Storm where a battalion commander served with his son under his command, but that's been almost 30 years ago now.
just curious.

I was read some of John McCain's military background. I noticed that John was serving on the fleet commanded by his father, Admiral McCain during the Vietnam war.

my question is, is this still allowed in todays military where parent and their children are in the same unit or command? Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm

Same command, no. Even married folk have to work in separate commands, or at least separate departments.
Same command, no. Even married folk have to work in separate commands, or at least separate departments. Originally Posted by garhkal
I wasn't even thinking about the married service members, it does make sense that they work in different departments under the same command or different command. That must depend on whos running the command. However, that is a seperate issue.

so that part of the military has changed the rules then?

it would make sense that the children of a high ranking officer (General or Admiral) should not be in the same command as was in the case of John McCain and Admiral McCain in the Pacific Fleet. Theres the potential for favoritism to cause resentment among the rank and file.