Can anyone tell me...

...More about this chess set? I found it on Memphis Craigslist and I fell in love with it immediately! I drove over to pick it up yesterday. I paid $150.

I was told that it's an antique. It's made out of an extremely heavy material, but I'm not exactly sure what it is.

Any insight about value or material would be appreciated! Guesses welcome. Thanks!

• bndm
  • 01-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Does it have any writing on it?
It looks amazing.

And expensive.

B
No markings that I could see...

But I have a sneaky suspicion that I stole it at $150.
Looks like the board and its pieces are made out of some type of Limestone or Jade! If that's the case, the material along is worth the price you paid for it and then some.
I looked at a bunch online and it looks to be made out of stone. Cannot find anything like it at all though so far.
You need to figure out the origin of the pieces to start with, the pawns look Celtic but the castle has an oriental look, I will look some more shortly.
I believe its some kind of marble though. Its beautiful, bet I can beat you at chess lol.

... Its beautiful, bet I can beat you at chess lol. Originally Posted by Sweet N Little
Nope... Not a chance! Especially if I distract you by not wearing any panties!
Nope... Not if I distract you by not wearing any panties! Originally Posted by Ginger Doll
hmmmm nude chess...lol sounds like fun

Naked Chess...the smart peoples twister
It was made by the Franklin Mint for 4 payments of $29.95 but if you bought it within 30 mins of seeing the commercial it was only 3 payments plus processing and handling.
Seriously doubt it, Jim. Shipping would've cost double that price tag. It's really, really heavy.
With the design on the board itself and the style of the castles , it really looks oriental, I will keep looking
Just kidding Ginger. i agree that it looks to be more valuable than what you paid for it. Maybe you can make some $ off of it.
Just kidding Ginger. i agree that it looks to be more valuable than what you paid for it. Maybe you can make some $ off of it. Originally Posted by jim1995
I figured you must be. Nothing wrong with Franklin Mint, though. I'd love to have their Civil War chess set!

No... I'm afraid I'll never sell it. I bought it because I love chess, and I love beautiful things. I enjoy looking at it too much to ever part with it.
I'm not intelligent enough to play or understand the strategies of chess. I'm no Bobby Fischer! I love beautiful things too that's why i need to schedule some time with you some day.
I'm not intelligent enough to play or understand the strategies of chess. I'm no Bobby Fischer! I love beautiful things too that's why i need to schedule some time with you some day. Originally Posted by jim1995
Awwww. You're too sweet.

I hope to make a visit to Tennessee soon! (Memphis)