Congressman gets caught on Craiglist

What started last month with an anonymous woman's Craigslist dating search for men who don't "look like toads" ended Wednesday with the resignation of two-term Rep. Christopher Lee, R-N.Y., a married father who passed himself off as a divorced lobbyist when he sent her a topless muscle photo of himself.
Within hours, he had quit his $174,000-a-year job and issued this statement:

"I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness. The challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."
Answering a Washington-area "Women for Men" ad last month, Lee described himself as 39, divorced, a lobbyist and a "fit, fun classy guy." And to prove it, he e-mailed the shirtless photo to the unnamed government worker from Maryland.
Once she figured out the man she thought might have been a JC Penney model was actually a 46-year-old congressman, she went to Gawker with copies of their bantering e-mails about bad Craigslist dates.

I thought we elected smart people, Imagine that. Will they ever learn?????
Oh, I'm sure he's smart. Probably got straight A's through college, and I strongly suspect he went to an upper tier school.

I find it sad that even on this board we condemn this conduct. We're supposed to be open-minded here, aren't we. Just a guy with a need.

Quite frankly, I think he should have stuck it out. The past indicates you can survive. Look at Bill Clinton. David Vitter. Others I can't remember right now.
I agree Charles , but i think it was the picture they splashed everywhere of him shirtless with his face showing that made it a point of no return situation and of all places Craigslists!!
Oh, I'm sure he's smart. Probably got straight A's through college, and I strongly suspect he went to an upper tier school.

I find it sad that even on this board we condemn this conduct. We're supposed to be open-minded here, aren't we. Just a guy with a need.

Quite frankly, I think he should have stuck it out. The past indicates you can survive. Look at Bill Clinton. David Vitter. Others I can't remember right now. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
you are right. Its just not easy to do.
  • WTF
  • 02-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Quite frankly, I think he should have stuck it out. . Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
I think that is what got him in trouble in the first place.
Him and Brett Frave musta went to the same charm school!
I think that is what got him in trouble in the first place.
Him and Brett Frave musta went to the same charm school!
Originally Posted by WTF
Good one !
Ha ha what's new lol.
The odd/sad thing is that trying to get a little pussy is cause for resignation but spending $1.5 trillion dollars we don't have is business as usual.
i'd like to see the exact wording of the ad the woman placed to see if she had any basis at all to out the poor guy.
It is sad PJ , but thats not "scandalious" Im sure the girl will get her 15 of fame, how sad that is. Just like Tigers girls, but what goes around comes around.
The odd/sad thing is that trying to get a little pussy is cause for resignation but spending $1.5 trillion dollars we don't have is business as usual. Originally Posted by pjorourke
Amen!
The odd/sad thing is that trying to get a little pussy is cause for resignation but spending $1.5 trillion dollars we don't have is business as usual. Originally Posted by pjorourke
Word, IMO
Can we say it's sad he didn't figure how to use picasa or photoshop to crop the damn picture. Lordy even I know how to crop a pic.
i'd like to see the exact wording of the ad the woman placed to see if she had any basis at all to out the poor guy. Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
You know I was wondering myself, was this some sort of set up?

I care less and less about what a politician does "behind closed doors" (that is between him and his family, if he is married) IMHO. Again, news media looking to make quick cheap ratings. I kinda feel sorry for this guy. He should have stuck it out and not resigned.