Best Dives and Cozy Restaurants

There's a lot of fantastic food that doesn't quality as 5 star. Curious what people have loved.

My selections:

Baltimore: Ze Mean Bean (best Polish food EVER), Ambassador

New York: Dervish for the lamb, Aroma for the pasta, The Orchard (not sure if it's still open), Little Giant, Cafe Katja

Washington: Taberna Del Alabardero

New Orleans: The Orange Couch (for Thai Milkshake), Dante's Kitchen, Bennachin, Yo MaMa's, Port Of Call, Coop's Place, Sucre, Checkpoint Charlies

Toronto: Ethiopian House, Foxley Bistro, Shanghai Cowgirl, Rush Hour
Ike's Chili House in Tulsa. The best thing on the menu is 3-way (NO, NOT THAT ). This chili house has been in operation for over 100 years, and lunch is frequented by attorneys, judges, mechanics & carpenters alike. Counter conversation is unbelievable.
Rooster's Chicken & Waffle's in L.A.
Rosedale Diner (Calamari Picant | lightly breaded, lemon & caper aioli) Toronto, Canada. Gentlemen friend introduced, been hooked ever since!
Dante's is actually a few blocks from my house. It's a cool little place, but I did not really care for the food.

I always watch that show, "Diners, drive ins, and dives" and many here were mentioned.

I like Impastatos which is a locally owned Mobster place and Acme Oyster House. For that late night drunken fix, Camella Grill on Carolton. Food sucks but it always has lines around the darn building.
Dante's is actually a few blocks from my house. It's a cool little place, but I did not really care for the food.

I always watch that show, "Diners, drive ins, and dives" and many here were mentioned.

I like Impastatos which is a locally owned Mobster place and Acme Oyster House. For that late night drunken fix, Camella Grill on Carolton. Food sucks but it always has lines around the darn building. Originally Posted by London Rayne
Acme Oyster House is also one of my favorites. Others include Emeril's, Ruth's Chris, Besh Steakhouse, Vincent's Italian Cuisine in Metairie and Rocky & Carlo in Chalmette.
Well, in Dallas I love Sonny Bryan's, and I still love the sausage from the liquor store out on the "strip" in Lubbock, And of course, in San Diego there are all the Carne Asada Burrito joints, like Roberto's. Dives indeed, but some fabulous and inexpensive food for sure!

Which doesn't change the fact that the best meal I've ever had was at the Raffles in Singapore, and it was the most expensive as well.

Thank God for Variety!
Acme Oyster House is also one of my favorites. Others include Emeril's, Ruth's Chris, Besh Steakhouse, Vincent's Italian Cuisine in Metairie and Rocky & Carlo in Chalmette. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
I think some of these belong in the other eatery thread:
http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=95543
where the best are discussed.

This thread is about dives and cozy restaurants.
I think some of these belong in the other eatery thread:
http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=95543
where the best are discussed.

This thread is about dives and cozy restaurants. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Reckon you are right, but Rocky & Carlo in Chalmette certainly qualifies as a dive.
Acme Oyster House is also one of my favorites. Others include Emeril's, Ruth's Chris, Besh Steakhouse, Vincent's Italian Cuisine in Metairie and Rocky & Carlo in Chalmette. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
I live 4 blocks from Vincent's but it's on St. Charles not in Metairie...the one I am thinking of anyway. I believe he has both. Commander's Palace and Nola are also two others you must try. Gosh I could go on lol.

Can't say I have ever been to Chalmette lol.
I love dinners/drive inns/and dives!

New Orleans.....Figaro's.......... .... http://www.yelp.com/biz/fiorellas-cafe-new-orleans

Houston...........Kona grill in galleria.....http://www.konagrill.com/

Mesa Az...........Moki's hawaain grill.............http://www.mokis.com/

Memphis..........Guss's Chicken
Starliner Diner in Hilliard, Ohio.
I live 4 blocks from Vincent's but it's on St. Charles not in Metairie...the one I am thinking of anyway. I believe he has both. Commander's Palace and Nola are also two others you must try. Gosh I could go on lol.

Can't say I have ever been to Chalmette lol. Originally Posted by London Rayne
I’ve never been to the Commander's Palace, but I’ve been to Nola twice. Like you said: “Gosh I could go on lol.” Chalmette has tank farms, petrochemical plants, the Battle of New Orleans Battlefield, and Rocky & Carlo. I think that's about it. LOL.
You might try The Chef Point Cafe in Watauga, TX, it's been featured on DDD. It features a classically trained chef and his wife who combine their food operation with a carry out/gas station operation. It seems their bank wouldn't loan them money to open a restaurant but they would finance a gas station.

Web site with imbedded DDD video: Chef Point Cafe
You might try The Chef Point Cafe in Watauga, TX, it's been featured on DDD. It features a classically trained chef and his wife who combine their food operation with a carry out/gas station operation. It seems their bank wouldn't loan them money to open a restaurant but they would finance a gas station.

Web site with imbedded DDD video: Chef Point Cafe Originally Posted by Chainsaw Anthropologist
WORD!