NYT smartphone location tracking article

References to massage parlors and roadside hotels. Anonymous data is no longer anonymous when the dot goes home.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ell-phone.html
If you have an Android phone. the only way you can get it NOT to track you is to remove the battery and sim card and then throw all three into the river. Even if it doesn't have a SIM card, an Android phone is bleating out its IMEI number to every cell tower within range. In a tower rich environment like NYC, they can usually pinpoint your location in real time + or - 5 meters.
I am single and don't have to worry about a SO. Even then, I use a hobby phone. When I leave to hobby my regular phone sits at the office or on my kitchen counter top.
Well don’t I feel dumb, I thought by turn the setting in iPhone to Location Services OFF...I was good to go, not so much..Big brother is always watching.
Fizley. If both of your phones are on and in the same approximate location at the same time more than once in a blue moon then with a little data crunching both of your phones will stand out together in a correlation of time and location. So a suggestion - don't turn on your hobby phone until you are miles from your RW phone or from where it was last on, for those that turn their RW phone off and place it in a lead box. And the miles away should vary randomly - not always at that right turn on Main St. If you have a car like mine with a built in cellular modem, then just ignore all of this - there is no way to hide.
Fizley. If both of your phones are on and in the same approximate location at the same time more than once in a blue moon then with a little data crunching both of your phones will stand out together in a correlation of time and location. So a suggestion - don't turn on your hobby phone until you are miles from your RW phone or from where it was last on, for those that turn their RW phone off and place it in a lead box. And the miles away should vary randomly - not always at that right turn on Main St. If you have a car like mine with a built in cellular modem, then just ignore all of this - there is no way to hide. Originally Posted by Moriarty
Unfortunately, yes. Lots of guys bring a burner phone to a date all the while having their regular cell in their car. This may create a disconnect with the girls and their pimps with regards to your identity, but not big gov. The phones are inextricably linked. And if they get the itch. . . .