The Paris Notre Dame fire.

All those French billionaires who were boasting how many billions they were going to donate together haven't paid a single Euro. I think they use the tragedy to freely advertise their companies like Gucci, Dior, L'Oreal. I am sure their sales have gone up afterward and the money from all those sales should be taken away from them by the government and use toward the repair of the cathedral.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...614-story.html
I don't like the whole idea of pledging, and this example is a good illustration. I know pledges to Public Radio and such, are paid only fractionally to the original pledged amounts. even flipping the switch.. Coupon Savers who RECEIVE benefits, only redeem a small fraction of the coupons clipped.

if you are a REAL Pledger, take out a loan, pay the full amount upfront, then pay on your loan.. a promise to pay later is mostly Horseshit. if an ECCIE Provider takes pledges as donations, send me her link.
A radio station here around Christmas a few years back was collecting donation to a charity that handed out toys and food and clothing to needing families during the holidays and I donated. Later on I read in the paper that charity only took maybe a quarter of each dollar toward helping folks and the rest went to their own salaries which they claim as busienss expenses. Then I also read many of the big charities that ask for money for cancer research or for homeless folks keep most of the money to themselves. I have not donated any money to any charity since. Even the red cross that always ask for money after every big disaster, I question and have doubts. Only donations now I make is to providers. At least I know what I am getting for my $.
I also read many of the big charities that ask for money for cancer research or for homeless folks keep most of the money to themselves. I have not donated any money to any charity since. Even the red cross that always ask for money after every big disaster, I question and have doubts. Only donations now I make is to providers. At least I know what I am getting for my $. Originally Posted by LuvHerMadlyEverytime
indeed. the guy on the street corner might be gaming you, he might not be homeless, he might not be willing to work for food. but at least the $2 you hand him is his, not 50 cents, after a middleman siphons off $1.50

I have a relative who works for the Red Cross, he was here for a few days, when Katrina victims from Houston were housed at the Convention Center. his expense account allowed him to buy me lunch, about $15.. sure, that is not a lot, but that came out of someone's donation pocket, who didn't intend for some ECCIE Whoremonger to eat on his dime, LOL
  • Crock
  • 06-20-2019, 01:25 PM
If you want to know what percentage of donations are actually used for the actual charity (as opposed to overhead like salaries), then check out Charity Navigator: https://www.charitynavigator.org/
There are a bunch of valid technical reasons for these delays. The first is the struggle between Macron and the church over the President invoking Article 8, which is opposed by the church. Second, Macron wants the office of the President with Gen. Georgelin in charge. Mist others, including the donors, want the Ministry of Culture (the agency that would under the law normally take the lead) in charge. A few want the church in charge. Finally, the large donors understandably want to know what the rebuilding plans are before they commit. And those are very much up in the air. Until Macron begins to follow a more ordinary legal process, or firms up the plans. Nothing much besides the clean up work will get done. But there is at least 9-14 more months of major clean up work to be done per the French media.
Let the church do the repairs ... Oh wait, the church has to pay all of those silly legal bills and settlements for covering up pedophiles ...
9-14 months of clean up work and manpower to do the work needs money too.
If you read the article linked by the OP, about the third paragraph says this:

"The big donors haven't paid. Not a cent," said Andre Finot, senior press official at Notre Dame. "They want to know what exactly their money is being spent on and if they agree to it before they hand it over, and not just to pay employees' salaries."

If you're writing a check for many millions of dollars, I don't think it's too unreasonable to want to know how it's going to be used before you write the check.
  • Go4it
  • 06-22-2019, 01:36 PM
Try St Judes if you really want your donation to assist.