Famers Branch Officer Murder Indictment

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...cid=spartanntp

2nd murder indictment of a local Police Officer since last year, when the first murder charge of any Texas Officer in a decade was handed down.

when I saw the first video, I was ready to absolve the Officer (Dunn) of ANY charge.. it looked like Moreno was speeding around the corner, possibly attempting to run over the Officer. at least driving fast and erratic, putting other lives in potential jeopardy.

but watching channel 21's video from a different angle, it looks like the stolen white van was parked, Dunn pulled up, jumped out, and only then did the van start up to flee, driving past Dunn, but not close enough to be a personal threat. Moreno was shot as he drove past Dunn.

but still.. murder? I don't know.. if the person for whom the van belonged shot Moreno as he fled, while in the act of stealing the van, that would be considered justifiable, correct?

if so, why is a representative for the people (the Cop) charged with murder, for basically the same action?
The de facto crime, in today's political climate, is one of our national treasures expired during the commission of this crime. Inexcusable, and Beto/Booker/Warren will back me up on that. As far as I'm concerned, every cop should get a "free one" per annum.
  • grean
  • 06-27-2019, 01:58 PM
Dallas DA filed charges? They're crazy. We are in Texas and the guy was stealing a truck! No jury will convict him.
I admit I don't know much about this news story but from what I've read so far, I agree with you Chung.

Policemen should be free to do their jobs, which includes using deadly force to stop criminals. Otherwise, if cops stop even trying to apprehend criminals because they're worried they'll get charged with murder, then crime rates in the DFW area will sky rocket up.
  • BLM69
  • 06-27-2019, 11:12 PM
Dallas DA filed charges? They're crazy. We are in Texas and the guy was stealing a truck! No jury will convict him. Originally Posted by grean
I caught this in the news today and remember seeing this story the night that it happened, that cop is a murderer and should be punished for it.
Yeah, this is quite a bit different from the Balch Springs police officer Roy Oliver. There it was not a stolen vehicle and it was backing up.
This is a stolen vehicle and it's moving to evade.
I don't see this guy getting convicted of murder.
I don't know much about this case, but it appears the man that was shot stole, or was driving a stolen vehicle. In our society today everyone wants preferential treatment and believes their situation is unique...even criminals. The vast majority of people that have been shot by cops in the last several years have been braking the law (robbery, assault, brandishing a gun, on drugs, etc) and escalated the situation by resisting arrest or failing to corporate with the police . Individuals that escalate a situation with police should be prepared to deal with the consequences...especially criminals that have committed a crime.

All cops should wear body cameras and be held accountable for their actions. In the few isolated incidents were a cop has exercised poor judgment and shot or assaulted an innocent person that officer should be held accountable for their actions just as we are held account for our actions, but we shouldn't shelter criminals because of an agenda.
Yeah I don't know looked like that F-350 was turning toward him ,sad the LSM is again making the coppers the bad guys not the guy driving the STOLEN truck.
When you steal a vehicle and evade arrest, don't be too surprised if you win a free autopsy.
A quick top level overview of the law in this area.

https://www.americanbar.org/news/aba...y-force-legal/
  • BLM69
  • 06-28-2019, 02:21 PM
Yeah I don't know looked like that F-350 was turning toward him ,sad the LSM is again making the coppers the bad guys not the guy driving the STOLEN truck. Originally Posted by rexdutchman
I doubt a jury will see what you see, there's no doubt the guy was trying to get away, the trigger happy pig got caught on camera and will now pay for his screw up
I have kind of reconsidered my first opinion. Unless the police have confirmed the identity of the driver and determined he was a dangerous, violent, armed felon, with offenses like aggravated assault or murder, I'm not sure deadly force was warranted by the officer.
He wasn't aiming a gun at the officer or attempting to run over him. This former police officer is going to do some time.
A quick top level overview of the law in this area.

https://www.americanbar.org/news/aba...y-force-legal/ Originally Posted by TexTushHog
I haven't spent the time to study this case, but I did take a look at this article. For me the important line was this: the “reasonableness of a particular use of force” should be judged from the perspective of a reasonable officer on the scene, with an allowance that police often must make split-second decisions.
We spend days looking at all the camera views and analyzing the possibilities, but the officer on the scene didn't have that advantage.
  • BLM69
  • 06-30-2019, 04:05 PM
I haven't spent the time to study this case, but I did take a look at this article. For me the important line was this: the “reasonableness of a particular use of force” should be judged from the perspective of a reasonable officer on the scene, with an allowance that police often must make split-second decisions.
We spend days looking at all the camera views and analyzing the possibilities, but the officer on the scene didn't have that advantage. Originally Posted by billw1032
Cop screwed up guys, We don't need these type of thugs with a badge dealing with the public, Here is a experts point of view after examining the video frame by frame from different angles.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/06/21/former-texas-police-chief-catherine-smit-torrez-video-farmers-branch-officer-involved-shooting/
Easy to make a decision watching a video after the event.
Harder to make the decision while the event is happening.