War movies

What are your favorite war movies of all time I like the dirty dozen and the river Kwai and 1200 high
I agree on "the bridge over the river kwai" as one of the best ever. "dirty dozen" was funny and good, never saw "1200 high"

the miniseries "band of brothers" was excellent

i also really liked "enemy at the gates"
Full metal jacket is untouchable I think I liked black hawk down, I saw it on a date in like 10th grade I remember it being bad ass enough to only make out half the time Lmfao.
Midway, Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Saving Private Ryan, Gettysburg.
Dr. Strangelove, M.A.S.H. (but the tv show sucked) Paths of Glory, Attack!, Catch 22, Apocalypse Now Redux
You cant go wrong with The Longest Day, Midway, Battle of the Bulge and Tora!Tora!Tora! You can tell I'm partial to WWII.
I have always been a Patton fan ;-)
Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Full Metal Jacket is my go to boring Saturday flick
I never click past Kelly's Heros when it is on, for what it is, I love it.
I believe I read somewhere the drill sergeant's lines in FMJ were adlibed and that was actually his real life occupation??!

Yes.. Here is the link mixed in with other adlibs..

http://listverse.com/2010/05/03/15-g...re-unscripted/

Might sound total cheese.. But.. I liked Year of living dangerously and Purple Hearts ... Prob.. Chic war stuff lol
You cant go wrong with The Longest Day, Midway, Battle of the Bulge and Tora!Tora!Tora! Originally Posted by XMrRoyal
These are all my favorites too, plus "Saving Private Ryan".
  • MC
  • 04-17-2013, 03:54 PM

On a serious note, while not technically a film, the miniseries Band of Brothers is a favorite of mine.

I also like Joyeux Noël, which is about the World War I Christmas truce of 1914. The Great Escape is also very good, as well as Sam Peckinpah's Cross of Iron (Really dark movie).
I believe I read somewhere the drill sergeant's lines in FMJ were adlibed and that was actually his real life occupation??!

Yes.. Here is the link mixed in with other adlibs..

http://listverse.com/2010/05/03/15-g...re-unscripted/

Might sound total cheese.. But.. I liked Year of living dangerously and Purple Hearts ... Prob.. Chic war stuff lol Originally Posted by Frankie Fine
Curious that 4 of those films were directed by Stanley Kubrick.

Year of Living Dangerously is the only Mel Gibson film I can stomach.
I think he had to stand on a box to get up to Sigourney Weaver's height a la Alan Ladd back in the day.