Float trip

My kids are coming for a visit and I’d like to take them floating. Where’s the best and CLEAREST place to do this? Thanks💕
drive to Buffalo River in northwest arkansas
.Not sure of any place close to KC. Check out Adventure float trips on the Niangua river out of Bennett Springs.We did it a couple yrs ago. Also there are a few places on the ElkRiver out of Noel,Mo.
My kids are coming for a visit and I’d like to take them floating. Where’s the best and CLEAREST place to do this? Thanks💕 Originally Posted by Rochelle77
The current river in SE Missouri is a good float or canoe trip
Current
Niangua
Meramec
Elk
Sugar
Piney

Are all good

Jack's Fork is not for small folks. I actually pulled an early 20s person out of that when they swamped (not from my group).

I've done all of these and more.
Plan on a overnighting it and book ahead as the rental equipment is usually booked up a couple weeks in advance
My kids are coming for a visit and I’d like to take them floating. Where’s the best and CLEAREST place to do this? Thanks�� Originally Posted by Rochelle77
I started the canoe trips in Missouri and Arkansas in 1956. About 30 years ago, I crossed the 1000 mile mark for canoe trips in Missouri and Arkansas. I have also been to Colorado and several Western states.

For kids and family style canoe trip: The Niangua River is the number one choice, especially for smaller kids. For bigger kids, I have taken teens on the white river, there are a lot of choices. If they have not been on a canoe trip before, the Niangua is the choice. The river flows North into the Lake of the Ozarks. The trip near the Lead Mine Conservation Area 12 miles North of Bennet Springs has about two miles of Niangua River frontage and about 7700 acres . https://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/places/lead-mine-conservation-area

I would recommend the above or below the entrance to Bennett Springs State Park. After the canoe trip take the kids to the State Park, a great trout fishing place with almost a guarenteed catch (fly fishing or bait and bobber areas set aside) - Take the kids to the trout hatchery where they can see the really big trout, then visit the nature center for some really nice information on wildlife.

The best choice, in my book, for a motel and float trip together is the Sand Springs Resort on the West side of the Niangua River by the bridge at the entrance to the State Park.

You can go right to the canoe launch point by the motel and float down where they pick you up and bring you back to the motel. In the spring when the water is up they have taken me up the river and float down to the motel by myself so I can stop and fish for trout in the river. (Gotta have a special trout stamp and a fishing license), When alone that has been my best trip, just to relax, fish and not hurry.

They also have a camp ground for tents or campers, if money is tight, or you can drive into Lebanon, MO (about 20 minutes) and stay at the Munger Moss Motel on old Route 66 on the East side of town by the new Interstate.

But there are lots of choices. The only thing about Sand Springs Resort is they used to have a really super nice restaurant next to the Motel, but the new owners changed the menu to Pizza and it was kinda like a beer place 5 years ago (my last trip). But a lot of other motels and places to eat down the road, or there is a really nice place to eat in the park next to the store for fishing supplies, next to the trout hatchery holding areas. Hiking trails and a lot of nature areas are also in the park.

There are many motels, and a lot of people that rent canoes near Bennett Springs.

Go on line and look up the area.
Bennett Springs State Park
Sand Springs resort bennett springs (check out youtube)
A caution for everyone without children with you: This is a family type of recreation. About 15 years ago, on The Lake of the Ozarks, the Law Boys kinds shut down party cove for a while: some people went to Bennett to party on the Niangua. When the nudity and heavy drinking moved in; all of the motel owners got with the Sheriff and put an end to it. Keep it nice, and have a good time. But the community really is focused on everyone being safe and with a good family time on the river.

Make Reservations, especially if you are thinking about July 4th. Going during the week during the summer also takes a lot of people off the river.

By the way, The State of Missouri Department of Conservation has several other Trout hatcheries around the State, that are great for fishing. Years ago ther was a 1/8 cent sales tax was voted to keep the money away from the political guys. All lof it stays with the Conservation Department and they have done a great job of providing great recreation for the public. The program is #1 in the nation.

Have a good time. Any questions? Just send me a PM

The best way to get there: avoid going all the way to Springfield. Good roads, if not all interstate. Go South on 71 to Harrisonville, Hi 7 East to Clinton , Highway 13 South to 54 at Collins MO, Hi 54 to US 65 at Preston MO, Turn South on US 65 to Louisburg MO at State Road 64. East on MO 64 toward Lebanon with Bennett about 15 miles west of town. Sand Springs is at the bottom of a long hill just before you cross the river.
https://www.modot.org/sites/default/...ctions%209.pdf

This brings back good memories.
My best advice, ...Don't forget to put sunblock on the top of your feet..

That said, there are great places to float all around the MO AK border. The guys above have probably listed the best of them.
Oceans of Fun. Fury of the Nile.