Defensive Driving Courses - Scam on insurance companies?

• S-Man
  • 11-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Growing up in New England, I had to pay the piper when caught speeding. I paid the fine and got a nice increase on my insurance rate for a few years. Other than fighting the ticket in court, there was no way around it.

This morning, I took a defensive driving course. Rather than pay the full fine, I paid about half of it plus the cost of the course. As a result, not only do I avoid any rate increase, I get to reduce a portion of it.

As long as I don't get another ticket before a year from now, I can do this again.

I am surprised that the insurance industry has not lobbied to eliminate this loophole.
I signed up for DD last week and the documentation I received indicated there's a chance I'd get a reduction on the rate as well, but I'm not counting on it. I seem to remember a buddy doing the same thing recently and the fact that he took the course as a result of a ticket negated the insurance discount. Had he just elected to take the course he would have been able to save a small percentage, or so his insurance agent told him. I guess we'll both soon find out.

Did you take an actual classroom course? I'm thinking of doing it online, but keep thinking I might miss out on sitting behind some college-aged naughty girl smacking bubble gumm wearing tight sweats on a Sat morning who might need some tuition help...
The insurance industry wants to reduce accidents and speed differentials along with inattentive drivers are some of the largest causes of fatal or near fatal wrecks but also cause millions of dollars in damage.

It's a trade off for them. Taking a driver's course keeps hitting home to wear seat belts and don't drink and drive. Some mention of speeding but you get the point.

Without the carrot/stick of insurance discounts, those without a ticket won't take the course.

Of course this is all speculation on my part so please don't take it as fact.
  • S-Man
  • 11-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Did you take an actual classroom course? I'm thinking of doing it online, but keep thinking I might miss out on sitting behind some college-aged naughty girl smacking bubble gumm wearing tight sweats on a Sat morning who might need some tuition help... Originally Posted by Par_Shooter
Take one located in a college town.

I'm thinking of doing it online, Originally Posted by Par_Shooter

The online courses are difficult to pass.

You may want to go to the classroom ones instead; they're much easier and minimal.
I belong to USAA, military officers and dependences. I pay about $60 a month and in December I get a check for $300 to $500 depending on hurricanes, then in January they match that check into a savings account. Hence, I do not pay for any insurance
Think of the options as if you had been caught by a nun. Being smacked on the hand with a ruler by the nun or just have to hear another lecture on proper behavior.

They don't see it as a scam. By repetition the message tends to get heard. If you truly are a bad driver and get caught often enough they will drop you and you will end up in a high risk pool if you can afford it. Put another way; If they make money off of you you get to keep paying. If they lose money on you they kick you to the curb. Go back and read what LazurusLong posted a few boxes back.

If you only do it for insurance purposes you should get a discount if they accept that particular course. Find out if they do before you sign up for one. Doing it for a ticket is about the same.

Just be glad you don't have to do it every two years or so. Done in person many times. A number of them you can get a free meal, or at least once upon a time you could. The last time was done online and about the only thing I liked was being able to do it over a period of time when I had the time and inclination to sit through it. Doing it in person I have to go with my mouth taped shut and sit on my hands so I don't take over.
I would think they would be more worried about deferred adjudication than drivers safety courses. I got 4 speeding tickets in 2 months driving between El Paso and Lubbock. Because they were in different counties every one was put on deferred adjucation and nothing hit my record nor did I take a course.
  • S-Man
  • 11-22-2010, 03:39 PM
If I had done deferred adjudication, I'd have missed out on the scenery.