Attn: Outdoorsmen ⚓

I'm looking to purchase a companion Generator. It will be supplying Offshore Power for the cabin of my Sea Ray. I am looking at getting a minimum of 2000w. It will need to power fridge, two small tvs, Xbox, DVD, microwave, Keurig, and outlets. Not all the time, but occasionally, a few of these will be running simultaneously. The fridge will always run. I do shut everything down when the boat is not being used.
Brands I'm considering:
Generac
Honda
Yamaha
Noise level is definitely important. I cannot be annoying myself, or my fellow boaters.
I'm looking for Feedback from genie owners. Reviews only tell so much, and the honesty of them is questionable.
Thank you in advance.
  • iggy
  • 05-27-2013, 08:24 PM
I'm looking to purchase a companion Generator. It will be supplying Offshore Power for the cabin of my Sea Ray. I am looking at getting a minimum of 2000w. It will need to power fridge, two small tvs, Xbox, DVD, microwave, Keurig, and outlets. Not all the time, but occasionally, a few of these will be running simultaneously. The fridge will always run. I do shut everything down when the boat is not being used.
Brands I'm considering:
Generac
Honda
Yamaha
Noise level is definitely important. I cannot be annoying myself, or my fellow boaters.
I'm looking for Feedback from genie owners. Reviews only tell so much, and the honesty of them is questionable.
Thank you in advance. Originally Posted by Autumn Bolan

What is your idea of roughing it, Not having Charmin ??
I camped in tents for an entire summer a few years back. I'm good on roughing it.
Please no one suggest a marine generator. They are incredibly expensive. Used starts around $5k. This is a perfectly acceptable alternative, as discussed in many online boating forums.
i have a honda 2000w i love it will run about ten hrs on tank full and very quiet andrew
AB,

Definetly A Honda nice and quiet!! I camp quite a bit I don't mind when people pull in next to me and set up a Honda it is so nice and quiet!!
That sounds like the way to go. Honda. TY!
errrr you forgot toy batteries charger along with private and hobby pc and cell phones.

edit: for night time when there very low power use DC to AC converter. no noise at all till morning when others hear you ranting car or boat battery/s is dead and now hooking converter to the other and a jump charger to get car or boat running from over use of toys.

mmmmm I have been there just sayin
Luckily I've got two batteries, and switches to change use from one to both or Off. I also have a Battery Charger, mounted in the engine compartment.
I'm going with the Honda 2000eu. I bought a 100w Rigid Inverter that plugs into the lighter (this boat has a cigarette lighter). That powers the Keurig and other small electronics.
Finally got her in Saturday. Was out all weekend. Much needed therapy, lol!
my boat is the same setup for the boat batteries.

my shore power went to the boat batteries. DC sockets where wired to few points in the cabin where I used a few inverters. the sockets where the type that would not take a lighter, but would plugs made to go into a lighter socket.
I did have one AC plug in the af-cabin for a heater. It has a good ice box. So was thinking adding air before frigid.
As the marina had shore power. I only used generator early and late in the season when shore power was off. When I was using my boat I did go in early and out late.
I keep mine on a mooring. Before this I had a 19' Chris Craft/cuddy. No need for all that fancy shore power, lol! I don't want to move to another Marina. I've been here for three years. It's a family place. I've earned my spot amongst the true boaters. I'm not giving that up. Ill just get a generator.
cool, I keep mine just tied in the slip when I was using it
errrr sorry getting back slow ahhhh been busy showing why this are was better off without the other area LOL
I will check here next in the wee hours
honda, ive run them for years , bulletproof
honda, ive run them for years , bulletproof Originally Posted by JONBALLS
lol
AB, glad that you finely got back out on the water and where able to relax.