Boo! Scary movies. Suggestions???

All of my adult life, I've never liked to watch horror films.

Just not my thing.

However, once a year, I'll watch one movie with family. Their choice.

Usually the film chosen is pretty disgusting. Open and bloody body parts being chopped off, situations like that. Just ugh!!! (I'm a lover! Scary stuff is just scary!!!)

So do you have any suggestions for movies for this evening? Something that might be more suspenseful than gross?

One that is being suggested is "Begotten" which is a silent movie made in 1991.

Just watching the trailer made my skin crawl.

Do many of you just love scary movies? A lot of my friends, over the years, have loved getting the crap scared out of them. Me? I just have always thought that real life was scary enough.

I don't need to see scary stuff on the screen and have that in my brain. Just my thoughts, though. Would like to hear about other's love, or lack of love, for horror films.

And what better day than today to discuss this?

So Happy Halloween!!!

After this evening, I might need some comforting by some strong man out there tomorrow!!!

Elisabeth
What else have you seen? Blair Witch Project with all the lights out. Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Johnny Depp) is pretty entertaining and slightly gorey. Old school with The Exorcist or The Omen. If you can't tell I'm not a slasher movie fan either.
Last year, I watched The Omen. I actually liked that movie.

This year, I've promised to watch The Poltergeist as kindof an extra. I don't believe it's horribly scary, either.

But I'm searching for one horror movie that's a bit more intense but maybe, won't give me nightmares.

I appreciate the suggestions!!! Exorcist. That one might work.
Another old school hookie one is Salem's Lot with "Hutch", David Soul. Scared the shit out of me as a kid.
About 10yrs ago I wrote horror movie reviews for a website, and still have about 4000 Horror movies in my collection. I grew up at the video store and the owner would set aside every new horror movie for me that came out in the 80’s so I have seen it all!

My top scariest movies of all time are (In no order)
1) The Exorcist
2) Eyes of Fire
3) Blair Witch Project
4) Haxan
5)Suspiria
6) The Beyond
7) Phantasm
8) The Brood
9) Session 9/Grave Encounters
10) Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
My favorite scary movie: Showgirls!

Seriously, it's tough to beat the original Halloween and Halloween II.
  • oeb11
  • 10-31-2017, 02:49 PM
EW - any of these three - take DVD with you for the family
The Witches - Anjelica Huston
Hocus Pocus -Bette Midler
Those are Halloween movies you would enjoy, and also the family.
for the Ultimate Halloween Movie for you:
Paint Your Wagon - Jean Seberg, Lee Marvin, and Clint Eastwood - and - They All Sing!!!!!
Ohhh, the Horror.
Ringu (Japanese: Ring - 1998): waaaay beyond creepy.
I'm not a huge horror fan either, but there are a decent number that I still love. I tend more toward the more psychological end of the horror spectrum or ones I can laugh at, and don't really get into most monster, slasher, or gorn flicks, so hopefully at least some of these will appeal to you.

The Thing (1982, not the recent prequel of the same name) - There's a fair amount of gore, but it's mostly in short bursts and serves a purpose other than pure violence. The main draw for me is that it's primarily about paranoia. Trapped in an isolated location, not knowing who's still human or not, or who's been taken over.

In the Mouth of Madness - Lovecraftian horror, where the whole world is going a bit crazy, including the main character. You're watching reality unravel and get more insane from a perspective that's unraveling and going insane.

Videodrome - Another one that's told from a perspective that's slowly losing its grip on reality. You get hallucination, mind control, and an odd perspective all blended into the story more and more as it's being told.

The Fly (1986 Cronenberg version) - A tragic monster story. The main character is becoming something progressively less human, with the focus on him to have the audience empathize with the monster.

An American Werewolf in London - Another tragic monster story, this time with some humor in the mix.

Cabin In the Woods - An interesting meta horror story wrapped around the idea of stock horror movie tropes. A bit of deconstruction of horror and commentary on horror movie trends.

Murder Party - A guy with nothing better to do finds an invitation to a "murder party" and decides to go. The people throwing the party are a group of crazy artists wanting to kill someone as an art piece. Much further to the humorous side of things than the horrific. You've got a horror movie situation with dumb, incompetent, and/or pathetic people in the killer and victim roles. It's stupid in a smart and fun way.

Green Room - A punk band winds up trapped in a building full of neo-Nazis who want to kill them. Pretty much the opposite of Murder Party in tone (and from the same director). Everyone on both sides plays things realistically smart for the situation they're in and the knowledge they have. Every decision makes sense in context, no one suddenly has skills or knowledge they shouldn't, and everything's played as realistically as possible. It's pure tension throughout, with bursts of violence when appropriate, but they're never lingered on or the focus. Plus it has Patrick Stewart as the head Nazi.

The Shining - Back to the psychological side of things. You have a family in an isolated location that's vaguely haunted, and Jack Nicholson growing progressively more and more unhinged. There's actually very little in the way of violence.

Evil Dead 2 - This one has tons of blood and gore, but it becomes so much it wraps around to become funny. To paraphrase Roger Ebert's review, it's not in excess, it's about excess. Plus there's Bruce Campbell being Bruce Campbell.

Re-Animator - Another one that's chock full of gore (probably more than Evil Dead 2), that wraps around to become funny. Mad scientist Jeffrey Combs bringing everything back from the dead, while his college roommate gets roped into the situation. There are several points that are simultaneously disturbing and humorous in odd ways.
  • Crock
  • 11-02-2017, 08:31 AM
Silence of the Lambs is a good thriller.
Try "The Thing" with Kurt Russell.

Also If you hadn't seen it, try "Alien" the original one.
Annabelle scared the tar out of me.