Suspended Coffee

I think that everyone needs a little positivity in their days, especially here on Eccie.

I just heard about this today and I think it's an amazing idea.
The Suspended Coffee idea is that people can purchase "suspended coffee" for those who can't afford it.
Most will order one coffee for themselves and at least one suspended coffee. Homeless or others who can't afford a hot drink or food can ask if there are any suspended coffees. The idea can extend to sandwiches and food as well.

This idea seems to be growing, but I don't see any coffee houses here in Rochester that do it yet. I would drive out of my way to go to a coffee place that featured this program. I'm going to be contacting Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts, Bruegger's and other coffee places around here to suggest the program. I'm not sure what they will think, but it doesn't hurt to try
The more people that try to help, the better chance that the coffee places will agree to it, so don't be afraid to contact them as well

https://www.facebook.com/SuspendedCoffeess/info Here is the Facebook link to the Suspended Coffee Page

Here is the webpage http://thesuspendedcoffees.wordpress. com/

This is a little blurb from a man who learned about suspended coffee first hand.

"We enter a little coffeehouse with a friend of mine and give our order. While we’re approaching our table two people come in and they go to the counter:

‘Five coffees, please. Two of them for us and three suspended’ They pay for their order, take the two and leave.

I ask my friend: “What are those ‘suspended’ coffees?”
My friend: “Wait for it and you will see.”

Some more people enter. Two girls ask for one coffee each, pay and go. The next order was for seven coffees and it was made by three lawyers - three for them and four ‘suspended’. While I still wonder what’s the deal with those ‘suspended’ coffees I enjoy the sunny weather and the beautiful view towards the square in front of the café. Suddenly a man dressed in shabby clothes who looks like a beggar comes in through the door and kindly asks
‘Do you have any suspended coffee?’

It’s simple - people pay in advance for a coffee meant for someone who can not afford a warm beverage. The tradition with the suspended coffees started in Naples, but it has spread all over the world and in some places you can order not only a suspended coffee, but also a sandwich or a whole meal.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have such cafés or even grocery stores in every town where the less fortunate will find hope and support? If you own a business why don’t you offer it to your clients… I am sure many of them will like it.

Please join https://www.facebook.com/SuspendedCoffeess?ref=hl
Personally I don't like this idea. There's a homeless guy who smells like piss and he was going to my dunkin donuts the same time as me in the morning. I started to go to another dunkin donuts because I didn't want to smell piss on a homeless guy. I'd be concerned that a place offering freebies would be jam packed with other homeless people who smell like piss, are pan handling or otherwise being a nuisance.
  • Doove
  • 01-09-2014, 04:44 PM
I love the idea.

I'd be concerned that a place offering freebies would be jam packed with other homeless people who smell like piss, are pan handling or otherwise being a nuisance. Originally Posted by Bushman69
The trick would be to have enough establishments participating so that they wouldn't congregate at just one or two places.
good idea
like it
A similar approach to feeding the less fortunate is the Pay-What-You-Want restaurant.
  • Tiger
  • 01-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Hmmm, where are the suspended providers? lol.
Personally I don't like this idea. There's a homeless guy who smells like piss and he was going to my dunkin donuts the same time as me in the morning. I started to go to another dunkin donuts because I didn't want to smell piss on a homeless guy. I'd be concerned that a place offering freebies would be jam packed with other homeless people who smell like piss, are pan handling or otherwise being a nuisance. Originally Posted by Bushman69
Nice compassion for the less fortunate.
But couldn't that 4 dollars for the over priced coffee be used for something much more nutritious for the homeless folks? I'm pretty sure there is more nutritional bang for the buck out there.
Its a good concept but I'd want it more organized, such that the pissy whino doesnt get daily free coffee and the thieving banker doesn't never chip in.
ive "brownbagged" it for the homeless before..coffee and biscuits in the am..not to diff once your organized..and gear stocked up..
winter months are hard for me to do this..however warm months..very easy..
gotta pay it forward..
I also saw this on Facebook and just love love love it!!! I think it's a beautiful idea. And as for nutrition, sure that's all fine and dandy but sometimes it just nice to indulge and the less fortunate should be able to enjoy these little pleasures(a hot cup of coffee) just like the rest of us. I've gone through the drive through at Tim Hortons a few times and told the employee to keep my change and pay for the next few orders, it's a great feeling doing something nice for someone else I would definitely participate in a suspended coffee program.
everythings fucking charity feel good bullshit now. Quit giving people free shit get them jobs instead. Fucking joke of a country everyone with a hand out and crap like this fuels dependency.
Only people who cant buy coffee are those with drinking or pt issues on the street the rest of the poor have mobile phones and lcd tvs.
ive "brownbagged" it for the homeless before..coffee and biscuits in the am..not to diff once your organized..and gear stocked up..
winter months are hard for me to do this..however warm months..very easy..
gotta pay it forward.. Originally Posted by aj14620
Awesome gal. You deserve a pound of freshly cooked bacon
Starbuck's, DD, and Bruegger's would more than likely prefer that the bums exercise their first amendment rights outside. Besides, they would more appreciate a suspended bottle of fortified wine (the kind with a screw cap instead of a cork).
I have no sympathy whatsoever for bums and never give them money. I don't care if it's 10 below. If I see one coming towards my car, the first thing I do is hit the button to make sure every door is locked.
Sore topic for me. I have a family member that's an alcoholic and abuses the system collecting anything and everything they can get, along with asking for handouts within the family. I know all too well about supporting dependency, and yes I am very against it.
But I'm also against stereotyping. Just because someone is homeless/unemployed/poor, does not mean they have pt/alcohol problems. Sure a majority probably do, but no not every single one. Sure, a lot of them have brought about their circumstances on themselves, but no not everyone. Sometimes things happen that are out of a persons control (illness, death of spouse, loss of job etc). Sure a job would do a person better than a cup of coffee, but unfortunately I'm not in a position to create jobs or give someone a job, so I do what I can.
I would bet you don't like others judging you, maybe you shouldn't judge others, you never really know what that persons been or going through.