Definition of a Courtesan and her Clientele...Agree?

To me the definition is spot on. With that being said, I don't feel a true courtesan is out here marketing herself. I feel they were groomed very early in life and were guided into society.
Awesome. Popcorn, butter, a movie, and I get to be kinky
Please let me know what I'm missing while I try to NOT put my foot in my mouth while writing this response. Thanks in advance.

A good post. Threads on this subject have a long history of deteriorating, that's what all the good natured ribbing going about.
So the definition that is listed above is beautiful to read but is completely inaccurate with what we're mostly seeing in this world today.Elisabeth Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
All it takes is for one to broaden their horizons... but then again some are only accustomed to what they have been exposed to culturally or otherwise.
  • Thais
  • 02-01-2010, 05:12 AM
She derives unique pleasure from knowing she has made a positive difference in her gentleman's life...
...She is, ironically, a rather moral woman, who sets her boundaries and cannot be 'bought'.

She is a genuinely elite, quality woman... Originally Posted by Exotic Lily
I think my problem with all such definitions is the elitism, which to me implies denigrating others. I would read the text and think yes, that sounds like something to aspire to - and then come across something else that makes me cringe. As the result, I think I am developing an allergy to the word "elite" on companion websites...

For example, from what I have seen, boundary setting and enjoying the positive difference you make are essential factors for a sex worker at every level - and I would even say for every human being.
  • WTF
  • 02-01-2010, 05:28 AM
Awesome. Popcorn, butter, a movie, and I get to be kinky Originally Posted by discreetgent
We'll change the ending (of the movie). No pun intended1

I feel they were groomed very early in life and were guided into society. Originally Posted by Ansley
WTF does that mean?

To me the definition is spot on. With that being said, I don't feel a true courtesan is out here marketing herself. I feel they were groomed very early in life and were guided into society. Originally Posted by Ansley
It is what defines a Geisha, in that they are "groomed" for that at an early stage in life. Lily, it was a lovely description for both parties. But like Nicholette said (and Christine Aguilera) sometimes you need a "dirrty" girl.
All it takes is for one to broaden their horizons... but then again some are only accustomed to what they have been exposed to culturally or otherwise. Originally Posted by Exotic Lily
I sincerely hope that it's just the early morning and I'm not reading exactly what is being inferred by your statement.

Elisabeth
I think my problem with all such definitions is the elitism, which to me implies denigrating others. I would read the text and think yes, that sounds like something to aspire to - and then come across something else that makes me cringe. As the result, I think I am developing an allergy to the word "elite" on companion websites...

For example, from what I have seen, boundary setting and enjoying the positive difference you make are essential factors for a sex worker at every level - and I would even say for every human being. Originally Posted by Thais
As always, you're the voice of reason. Wonderful post!

And thanks, Lauren, for your insight! (Although I sortof knew that sometimes I still need a clue!)

I appreciate you both!

Yours,
Elisabeth
  • WTF
  • 02-01-2010, 06:01 AM
It is what defines a Geisha, in that they are "groomed" for that at an early stage in life. Lily, it was a lovely description for both parties. But like Nicholette said (and Christine Aguilera) sometimes you need a "dirrty" girl. Originally Posted by SR Only
Then call a oiran, Geisha do not have sex with their patrons.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geisha[/ame]

However, legitimate geisha do not engage in paid sex with clients. Their purpose is to entertain their customer, be it by dancing, reciting verse, playing musical instruments, or engaging in light conversation. Geisha engagements may include flirting with men and playful innuendos; however, clients know that nothing more can be expected. In a social style that is common in Japan, men are amused by the illusion of that which is never to be.

Geisha have been confused with the Edo period's high-class courtesans known as oiran, from whom they evolved. Like geisha, oiran wore elaborate hairstyles and white makeup, but oiran knotted their obi in the front.

As always, Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
Not always..........Diamonds and Tuxedos, HDH? Thais post is chocked full of contradictions. Look where she is posting. Does she have a problem with this forum?

I sincerely hope that it's just the early morning and I'm not reading exactly what is being inferred by your statement.

Elisabeth Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
What, that it never hurts to expand one's horizon?

I think that is good advice to all.

Elisabeth Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
I read it that way as well.
  • WTF
  • 02-01-2010, 06:50 AM
I read it that way as well. Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
Well then lets all try to expand our horizon's
If you do some digging into thesis and the like where people have actually done substantial research into courtesans, you will find that a courtesan is a woman who wishes to maintain a lifestyle to which she has become accustomed, not create such a lifestyle. That is why so many self-proclaimed courtesans are dismissed, regardless of how succesful they may be at securing the trappings of wealth. You would be maintaining a the kind of priveleged life you were born into. Women who traditionally became courtesans were those with brothers who would inherit the wealth upon the parents death and who did not wish to marry to secure their wealth.

C
one's age certainly affects one's approach

like the young bull and the old bull standing on a hill overlooking the heifers in the field below..."let's run down there and get one", exclaims the young bull, "no" said the old bull, "lets walk down there and get them all".
Ladies and Gentlemen, my opinion only, but would love a few thoughts....
This entire conversation steps over, under and around the complex nature of being a female. I have always looked at people in one way - very simple, I suppose. Everyone puts their pants on the same way. Females play many, many roles. We are expected to behave one way as a wife, another as a mother, and a completely different way as a lover. I can be as Elite as one would like and I can get quite Naughty as well. I think gentlemen simply have different tastes on different days. Am I completely off base?