Lone Star State

Dear Eccier's

Im going to be doing a spot of travelling this fall and plan to venture into pastures unknown ( for myself at least).

One new state I have yet to explore is Texas. Which is best, Houston or Dallas? Any tips on where to stay, where to eat, where to shop, spa and what are must-do's and see's would be welcomed.

I will be mixing business with pleasure

Chiara
Dallas is good--as long as you aren't too high dollar...
stay in Galleria area
http://www.galleriadallas.com/

Houston is good{Galleria Mall area}
lots of cool shops at Galleria and off Post Oak
http://www.simon.com/mall/malldirectory.aspx?id=805

http://www.konagrill.com/
For Business:

Just one man's POV: Houston is the largest city in TX, and has everything you could want, including a short drive to the beach (not that it is great this time of year). Shopping is fab. It has the following industries in abundance: oil & gas; aircraft; NASA; professional sports; colleges & universities; professional museums; the arts (including dance & theatre); and at the same time is sophisticated and a cowtown. Personally, I think provider prices are a little higher in Houston.

DFW: again, one man's opinion. DFW is a huge area to cover. Some museums in FW are better than the ones in Dallas. There are a huge, huge number of providers in Dallas and that drives the prices down. Shopping and food in Dallas is as good or better than Houston, and Dallas may have an edge in professional sports. I don't think Dallas is as complete in the arts as Houston. Dallas has no part of the space program, but does have several colleges and universities.

Others may disagree with me, but this is my assessment.
I'm sure Toot's assessment is spot on but at the end of the day you are just visiting for a few days. You aren't moving in. They are both large metro areas that are relatively friendly to this biz. If anything the downside, as mentioned earlier, is pricing is competitive.

I don't think you go wrong either way. All things being equal, you'll probably do about the same in both. I'd say hit 'em both if time permits. If not float ads in both and go where you get more pre-booked business.
  • WTF
  • 09-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Dallas is really just a bunch of southern hillbilly Okies.

Dallas was much better for me - although I enjoy I enjoy Houston very much personally. The Gallerias in both cases.

Hope you have a great time!
Well thank you all ladies and gents, very insightful and interesting. I may indeed hit both cities as I find that wonderful Southern drawl intoxicating. Now all I need are some hotel reccies.
Chiara
I've had fun in both places Chiara. I think ATL makes avalid point...stick your toes in the water of both and see what reaction you get

C xxx
Have you given any thought to Austin?
  • WTF
  • 09-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Have you given any thought to Austin? Originally Posted by Smokin Joe
Do they even have an airport?
Do they even have an airport? Originally Posted by WTF
Nope, just an old decomissioned air force base.
Austin has so much weed you don't need a plane to fly there.
I would consider Austin for a day though Im not sure its quite my cup of tea. Is it a pretty place? Lots to do or more relaxed vibe there?
Chiara
I would consider Austin for a day though Im not sure its quite my cup of tea. Is it a pretty place? Lots to do or more relaxed vibe there?
Chiara Originally Posted by Chiara.Delano

If you don't mind driving a bit, which will let you see a lot more, I would suggest flying into Houston and making a road trip. Interstate 10 to San Antonio, 3 hrs. San Antonio to Austin, 1.5hrs, Austin is laid back, nice downtown area, hill country pretty, check out Lake Travis. Austin to Dallas 3 hrs, Dallas to Houston 4 hours. Split it up a day at a time and its not a bad week and then you can make up your mind where you'd like to spend more time on your next trip.
Chiara--

Please feel free to PM me in regards to hotel recommendations. I have several ideas, mostly dependant upon your location preference and style.