this is interesting

• Annef
  • 08-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Found this photojournalistic piece on npr's facebook feed. Thought it was interesting.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow...paign=20130807

My favorite quote from the article: "I was surprised by how businessy it was," said Alicia. "Most of the time she was bored, reading, writing, smoking and posting ads. I began to see it as just another job." Indeed, ma'am, indeed.
thanks for that link. very interesting
That is a damn good quote girl. Another fav " she plans to quit by the time she's 25 " ain't that just to darn cute.
Oh...I found that one, too. The click-through for the full editorial is worth a click.

Another great article about the sex industry surfaced a few weeks ago:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/susanelizabe...erican-boomtow
"Eden told Alicia she can make up to $20K in just five days of work."

Not only do I seem to be the wrong gender, I am also in the wrong profession....
"Eden told Alicia she can make up to $20K in just five days of work."

Not only do I seem to be the wrong gender, I am also in the wrong profession.... Originally Posted by fun2come
20k in 5days of work = Pure fantasy
CK, Muah :-)
Yeah found myself skeptical of the purported dollars too. Still if you click through to the full photo series, I think there's some interesting photos in there

Jenn: saw the buzzfeed piece last week. Thought that one was well written.

Also - hi Crystalkitty! *waves*
20k in 5days of work = Pure fantasy Originally Posted by crystalkitty
Not if Charlie Sheen is paying out.
  • Annef
  • 08-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I didn't notice the 20K in five days. that's not happening. That's not even possible, I do't believe. And if it is, shame on you for still living in a hovel. The more I think about this article, the more I dislike it. Just the whole notion that sex workers should be observed like lions on the serenghetti. I mean why not follow around a doctor or a paralegal or a teacher and take pictures of their boring life. Maybe its because I too went J grad school and like to do little photojournalism/article projects. I guess feel a little patronized being the observed instead of doing the observing. I also have taken issue with the title. she's not only a prostitute; she's my friend thing.I think that says more about the little girl who took the pictures than anything else. So, the assumption was made that prostitutes really aren't "friend" material. Why the surprise? I have a tone of friends, most of whom know nothing about this. Also was perturbed that she was surprised that the girl was creative. Just seems a lot of really immature assumptions were made.
That settles it, I canceled my sex change
  • Annef
  • 08-09-2013, 04:23 PM
This article is much smarter. Very interesting. Pics are more intriguing as well.

Oh...I found that one, too. The click-through for the full editorial is worth a click.

Another great article about the sex industry surfaced a few weeks ago:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/susanelizabe...erican-boomtow Originally Posted by JennsLolli
Hello fringehobbysist and fun2come! a kiss and a little bliss.. *(truest wish)*

Thanks lady for posting the article tho. I love to read..

Peace and love, y'all.