Let The COVID19 Run Thru The Population

I said it. Who's with me? This is not the best worded statement but that's how I feel.

From the numbers and the characteristics of the virus, this may be the most humane and economically feasible way of dealing with it. Mostly only the elderly die from it. It's not like the virus will send millions of kids to their deathx. I'm not even convinced that this virus has sent a large number of old folks to their death. In Italy, that seems the case but Italy has a large number of 80 and 90 yos.

Economically, this is devastating the nation. I'm not just talking the stock market. It's crushing the people in the food service industry. Soon many small businesses will be shuttered. Only those folks with a large web presence and ability to provide services and products remotely will survive.

And what happens if two months from now the virus reappears? Are we going to shut down everything again? The countries that let the virus run through should have immunity. Maybe not. Maybe we'll have more tests. Maybe we'll have a vaccine. Maybe we won't need the vaccine but need a new one.

I don't think the populace can handle the lock down situ much longer. Human weren't really built for long term "self quarantining." You'll see infected (are some really infected?) people going out, buying stuff, socializing, partying, living with their uninfected families.

My prediction in a week or two people will demand change. City decreed laws like closing restaurant dining rooms aren't going to hold.
I will agree that it is not worded the best, but once we started to get some cases I think they could be handling it better. I do agree with locking nursing homes down, that makes sense. I think they need to keep areas that don't have positive tests open more till a positive test comes back. Having some people building up immunity will probably shorten the time frame of problems. If we are lucking warm weather and sunshine will help to decrease it, but by late fall it will probably come roaring back to life. Even though they seem to have a vaccine that might work, still probably a year before enough volume could be created to make much of a difference.
I completely agree

It's better to let some people die than shut down the whole damn country
I completely agree

It's better to let some people die than shut down the whole damn country Originally Posted by Sienna91
I think I posted this in the wrong thread so here I am reposting it here

e commerce survives as any does any pharma announcing they are working on a vaccine

there is and will continue to be a realignment in our sources of supply and in our expression of demand

and the panic is certainly, in part, of a political nature

its not politically viable to be seen as, even in some small way, dismissive of the panic or to encourage any form of normality

and so fighting the virus has become an all out war, with the economy the first casualty

global warming may be part of the solution as the virus gets fat and lethargic and less virulent in warm weather...if it were only so
I completely agree

It's better to let some people die than shut down the whole damn country Originally Posted by Sienna91

I agree and I'm 72. If we think that after closing virtually every small business in America, they will all come back in July or August and the stock market will "rebound", that's the height of naivete. We will rue the day we took these draconian measures to add a couple of years to peoples lives who are on their way out already. Harsh? You bet it is but being 72 gives me the right to say it.

Of course we should be doing everything we can to help the elderly ME, like building more emergency hospitals to treat them as they become sick to the point of needing hospital care but we are told that about 80% of the people that catch this virus will survive with nothing more than bed rest and home care including the elderly. If that changes, then my opinion could change.

Destroying our economy and I believe that is what we are doing, to save people already at the end of their lives and in poor health which in any other circumstances would be a noble and right thing to do, it is not necessarily the right thing to do in these circumstances.

Try to save the elderly if possible, Yes. Destroy the lives of the 80% or so that this virus will not kill? NO! Especially when we are pretty damn sure we will have a vaccine for this virus in about a year and we can go back to not giving a thought to 30,000 to 60,000 children, young and old adults that die from the flu every year.

I hope I'm wrong about destroying the economy that will not come back IMHO because we are on the precipice of 30 to 40% of all manual labor jobs disappearing in the next 15 years or less.

Am I a pessimist or a realist? Only time will tell.
I agree and I'm 72. If we think that after closing virtually every small business in America, they will all come back in July or August and the stock market will "rebound", that's the height of naivete. We will rue the day we took these draconian measures to add a couple of years to peoples lives who are on their way out already. Harsh? You bet it is but being 72 gives me the right to say it.

I'm in total agreement with this even though I'm "only" 60. However, draconian may not be the best word. A lot of people who died were over 70 and/or had underlying health issues. They may had died from anything: bad meal, fall, emphysema, etc.

Of course we should be doing everything we can to help the elderly ME, like building more emergency hospitals to treat them as they become sick to the point of needing hospital care but we are told that about 80% of the people that catch this virus will survive with nothing more than bed rest and home care including the elderly. If that changes, then my opinion could change.

We have excess capacity already. This is why we built that excess capacity! Went by my local Houston hospital. Nobody. Parking lot less than half full as normal. Nobody in the testing tents.

Destroying our economy and I believe that is what we are doing, to save people already at the end of their lives and in poor health which in any other circumstances would be a noble and right thing to do, it is not necessarily the right thing to do in these circumstances.

Generally, we are destroying the economy because schools have shut down. I don't want dead children either but the virus APPEARS not to affect very much young children and the younger adults that care for them.

Try to save the elderly if possible, Yes. Destroy the lives of the 80% or so that this virus will not kill? NO! Especially when we are pretty damn sure we will have a vaccine for this virus in about a year and we can go back to not giving a thought to 30,000 to 60,000 children, young and old adults that die from the flu every year.

I hope I'm wrong about destroying the economy that will not come back IMHO because we are on the precipice of 30 to 40% of all manual labor jobs disappearing in the next 15 years or less.

Am I a pessimist or a realist? Only time will tell. Originally Posted by HedonistForever
At this point, you're an optimist. A pessimist would have shut the city and the school districts for months.
At this point, you're an optimist. A pessimist would have shut the city and the school districts for months. Originally Posted by gnadfly

I think some cities, New York in particular, has been shut down. No bars and restaurants open, that is the heart and soul of the city. Here in South Florida, schools are officially closed till April 15 and could be extended if this doesn't get any better and I don't see that happening with estimates that we have this through at least July. My guess is schools are closed for the rest of the school year.

I'm in total agreement with this even though I'm "only" 60. However, draconian may not be the best word. A lot of people who died were over 70 and/or had underlying health issues. They may had died from anything: bad meal, fall, emphysema, etc.

The shutting down of the economy is draconian IMHO

We have excess capacity already. This is why we built that excess capacity! Went by my local Houston hospital. Nobody. Parking lot less than half full as normal. Nobody in the testing tents.

The consensus seems to be that we are only at the beginning and will get much worse. If that is the case, foresight suggest we get started right now with more hospitals just like China did. I'm all for trying to save as many people as possible but not but shutting down the country.

Generally, we are destroying the economy because schools have shut down. I don't want dead children either but the virus APPEARS not to affect very much young children and the younger adults that care for them.

Not following you here. Schools don't generate economic growth. Small businesses, bars and restaurants shutting down will destroy the economy. Schools shutting while a major disruption to families will not cause a large number of people to lose pay checks.

The greater Houston area has Shut down bars, most restaurants are volunteering to close dining areas.

In a way, it might be good to let it just go through the population, that way the survivors will have immunity.

That is, unless it is like the flu, with the ability to mutate and defeat antibodies each go round.

I look at the bright side. Think if Joe Biden was the President.
Twit head needs the old white ignorant racist redneck clueless supporters for a very slim chance of reelection. What and how will Putin fix this election of his ignorant in chief?
My guess is schools are closed for the rest of the school year.

IF that happens, it's a depression.

The consensus seems to be that we are only at the beginning and will get much worse. If that is the case, foresight suggest we get started right now with more hospitals just like China did. I'm all for trying to save as many people as possible but not but shutting down the country.

The panic seems to say that, not facts. China and South Korea's outbreaks are winding down. I've read they are shutting down those newly built hospitals in China and one of them actually collapsed. I'm for saving as many people as economically feasible. Based on the numbers I've seen we are economically maiming ourselves for things we've never done even through the worse flu season or even polio epidemic.

Not following you here. Schools don't generate economic growth. Small businesses, bars and restaurants shutting down will destroy the economy. Schools shutting while a major disruption to families will not cause a large number of people to lose pay checks.
Originally Posted by HedonistForever
Schools are closed, even daycare is closed. A parent who is earning an income has to stay home to take care of the child. Many parents of school age children aren't equipped to do that. A large number of people lose a paycheck. Grandma loves the grandkids but ain't running a school/daycare. She's already done that.
Schools are closed, even daycare is closed. A parent who is earning an income has to stay home to take care of the child. Many parents of school age children aren't equipped to do that. A large number of people lose a paycheck. Grandma loves the grandkids but ain't running a school/daycare. She's already done that. Originally Posted by gnadfly

Kind of a chicken and egg conundrum. Did the parent have to quit their job to stay home with the kids out of school or are they home because their job was taken away by government order?

No easy solutions but I would think it easier to arrange child care than find another job because yours was shut down.

Since kids aren't dying by going to school and the sole purpose of closing the schools seems to be an effort to keep the non symptomatic little carriers away from the old folks, why not concentrate on keeping the kids "after school lets out" from the old folks? Not every house with kids have elderly folks with health problems.
  • oeb11
  • 03-18-2020, 03:05 PM
In america - it seems the young and their younger parents are little affected - perhaps the partial immunity built u by exposure to cold viruses - ( a corona virus) creates a cross-immmunity with partial protection to covid 19 (Wuhan virus to you Fascist DPST's).

Basically - this virus will run through the population - and do what it will - until the disease peters out - whether from warm weather - or factors not understood. Hopefully warmer weather is a factor in reducing the virus - plus reaching a level of previously infected individuals that transmission and new cases slow down. The combination may stop the outbreak in Summer.

Hope so!

No - one cannot - at this time - "Having some people building up immunity will probably shorten the time frame of problems." Vaccines are the only medical choice - to build a specific antibody response to the virus - and that is a minimum of a year away. At Best! One cannot just "build up One's own immune system - and the shysters who post that it is possible ae just that - Shysters taking advantage of the pandemic and epidemic hysteria, plus the gleeful hands of the economy destroying DPST's - who plan a re-build in terms of George Orwell! Get ready for "Big Brother Xi/Putin!
I just posted in another thread that this, in the opinion of someone who knows this stuff, is exactly what should be, and always has been, done.

Edit: Tsmokies appears to be about the dumbest, most illiterate poster I’ve seen since TaTas hasn’t been around.
  • oeb11
  • 03-18-2020, 03:17 PM
There is an element of truth above - in the past - for example polio, efforts to seek refuge from the virus were found not effective.

There was no effective management until Salk and Sabin developed Polio virus vaccine.

From who lived it as a kid in the 1950's.

we now have anti-virals - but none clearly efficacious and safe against Covid - 19 (Wuhan virus). Studies are underway - and are the best hope for a management tool against the virus - until a vaccine can be developed.

Meanwhile - the Fascist DPST's are ".........dancing with delight...." at the economic destruction and impending recession they prayed for.

Burnishing up the dance steps - j666, ftw, 9500, tsmoke, etc???
There is an element of truth above - in the past - for example polio, efforts to seek refuge from the virus were found not effective.

There was no effective management until Salk and Sabin developed Polio virus vaccine.

From who lived it as a kid in the 1950's.

we now have anti-virals - but none clearly efficacious and safe against Covid - 19 (Wuhan virus). Studies are underway - and are the best hope for a management tool against the virus - until a vaccine can be developed.

Meanwhile - the Fascist DPST's are ".........dancing with delight...." at the economic destruction and impending recession they prayed for.

Burnishing up the dance steps - j666, ftw, 9500, tsmoke, etc??? Originally Posted by oeb11
I agree the motherfucking DPST's have gotten the economic decline they wanted to derail Trump.

I'll survive the economic havoc just fine and I will even survive if Biden gets the job but I will not forgive the DPST's.