What is the definition of the word 'may'?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/may

"c —used to indicate possibility or probability <you may be right> <things you may need> ; sometimes used interchangeably with can <one of those slipups that may happen from time to time — Jessica Mitford> ; sometimes used where might would be expected <you may think from a little distance that the country was solid woods — Robert Frost>"

The term 'may' is not the same as the words 'shall' or 'must'.

So, what is the purpose of this thread?

OK, here goes.

Last night Big Louie made a thread concerning an upcoming poker tournament. The poker tournament is something a lot of members look forward to and have looked forward to for years. It isn't anything illegal or even immoral, however most of the people who attend are either in the hobby or have retired. Either way it's something we can see old and current friends and enjoy our time.

All of a sudden our resident problem child who hates 'fatties' and has used the term 'whores' on more occasions that should be allowed, complains about the thread and quotes a rule.

Now here comes a moderator and locks the thread, then quotes a 'rule'. Before I get to that 'rule', let me state that IMHO wakeup has broken more rules on the site than most users could ever do. IMHO, every time he posts the term 'whore' he breaks this rule. His many 'fatty' comments are not only condescending but is also disrespectful and rude (rules 1 and 3). Just because some may state that fact is just a fact, the facts can also be disrespectful and rude.

• #1 - Avoid cases of unprovoked rudeness to others. No place for it here. Yes, with the dynamic nature of the threads and topics, tempers will flare and things will become heated from time to time. You may often encounter individuals who become passionate or emotional when expressing one's opinion or point of view. That's all understood and perfectly acceptable within reason…….but, start slamming or bashing another member and be met with consequences.
  • #3 - Disrespect to others, IN GENERAL, will be considered an item of low tolerance, especially when posting in our coed forums. Follow the Golden Rule and treat others as you wish to be treated yourself. This applies to fellow members as well as staff. We do not require that you have respect for us, but we do require that you treat us respectfully in the public forums. If you feel the need to vent, gripe, or blow off some steam regarding a staff member's action or decision, we ask that you keep it private. Email, RTM, or the PM system would be the appropriate avenue to take in such cases. In cases where you would like to request additional clarity about a staff decision, you are free to pursue an answer in either a public forum or private means of communication. If handled publicly, post your inquiry in a respectful manner.
Let's discuss the term 'whore'. Not only is it rude (rule 1) but it's also disrespectul (rule 3).

So wakeup being wakeup, for some reason or another, decides he doesn't like Big Louie presenting something to the board that he doesn't like. Why doesn't he like it? Well being of sound mind, I really can't relate to whatever he thinks.

What's so sad is that it's immediately locked after wakeup complains.

Here is the rule that is quoted to lock the thread.

#30 - ECCIE does not, in any way, sponsor or represent social events, meet and greets, or similar activities. On occasion, events may be announced here by our members, however, ECCIE is not associated with or responsible for such events. We are not involved with any related aspects, such as guest selection, screening, or hosting. Should members of our volunteer staff choose to participate in such an event, it should be understood that their personal involvement is of their own choice and responsibility, and in no way connected to their duties here on staff. If you are the host of one of these events, we will allow for ONE "announcement" post to inform the membership, which will be immediately locked to prevent further public discussions regarding the event.

Let's look at one sentence from this rule.

On occasion, events may be announced here by our members, however, ECCIE is not associated with or responsible for such events. We are not involved with any related aspects, such as guest selection, screening, or hosting.
The quote included the term 'may', which unlike the terms shall and will, means the term isn't an absolute, but a variable. Shall and will are absolutes.

I would like to request the Houston moderator staff to discuss unlocking the thread started by Big Louie. According to the rules, he didn't break any rules as the term 'may' gave him an out.

How about doing the right thing and instead of listening to one person and quoting a rule that isn't really a rule due to the term 'may', unlocking the thread that benefits many people.
They said that he may post it.... He was allowed to post it.
They said that he may post it.... He was allowed to post it. Originally Posted by Eccie Addict
Thanks for you input however condescending it may be.

Actually I was thinking of a posting on another none hobby site. So I may get off tracked by mentioning it, but anyway, the last time someone (on that site) tried to blow smoke up my ass, he got farted on.

Anyway, back to this site. Posting a thread and then locking it isn't the same as having the freedom of expression to follow up by allowing the thread to be replied to.

I would suggest that posting to myself and the members like we're some sort of simpletons isn't really a very good idea.
How does anyone benefit?

Also, how do Wakeup's remarks have any weight on how rules are viewed and enforced?
The answer is "no"
DJ, there have been major conversations concerning guideline #30 lately in the staff areas. The thread being closed is in concert with decisions from those conversations. And, the word may, in the guidelines , is written in the context of you can post if you want. It says you do not have to post an announcement, but you may if you so wish.
DJ, there have been major conversations concerning guideline #30 lately in the staff areas. The thread being closed is in concert with decisions from those conversations. And, the word may, in the guidelines , is written in the context of you can post if you want. It says you do not have to post an announcement, but you may if you so wish. Originally Posted by Pistolero
Then why was it locked?

If you may post it, it seems like one should be able to reply to it.
Whoa whoa...I have nothing against BL or his get togethers...I didn't say what I said out of any malice whatsoever...

The fact is that recently ck1942 has been getting away with flaunting that rule in San Antonio and Austin. Some people called him on it and the owners have had a discussion about it and handed down the enforcement measures. The moderators are going to enforce it the same for everyone.

BL hasn't had the rule enforced here, but now that's changed, as it should be...
Have you even read the rule? That being, Rule #30? Try reading it all the way through and you might be able to answer your own question. ...ijs

If you may post it, it seems like one should be able to reply to it. Originally Posted by DEAR_JOHN
And you would be dramatically incorrect...

The guideline specifically says you may post it and specifically says others will be prevented from replying to it...

P.S.-I love how he makes the entire thread about me...when he's so wrong it hurts...
I raped the RTM button. There.

I'm pretty sure I rape that button more times a day than you post in the same 24hr time frame.
#30 - ECCIE does not, in any way, sponsor or represent social events, meet and greets, or similar activities. On occasion, events may be announced here by our members, however, ECCIE is not associated with or responsible for such events..... "If you are the host of one of these events, we will allow for ONE "announcement" post to inform the membership, which will be immediately locked to prevent further public discussions regarding the event."

Me thincks the answer to your question is in the same "guideline" you are referencing.
I raped the RTM button. There.

I'm pretty sure I rape that button more times a day than you post in the same 24hr time frame. Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
Knock yourself out. Hit that RTM. Hell, hit that mother fucker again and again. If you hit is as much as I've hit it, they won't pay any attention to you either.

I stand by my post, whether you guys in the clique like it or not. Maybe it can be discussed in the next circle jerk that this whole thread is about more than Big Louie's locked thread.
Whoa whoa...I have nothing against BL or his get togethers...I didn't say what I said out of any malice whatsoever... Originally Posted by Wakeuр
The vast majority of shit that comes out of your keyboard is full of malice.

The fact is that recently ck1942 has been getting away with flaunting that rule in San Antonio and Austin. Some people called him on it and the owners have had a discussion about it and handed down the enforcement measures. The moderators are going to enforce it the same for everyone. Originally Posted by Wakeuр
Sorry, but I have a life outside of these hobby boards. I feel sorry for poor pathetic fools that have no life but these hobby boards and surf from city to city. So, I don't know nor care what goes on in San Antonio, Austin, Dallas or any other city.

BL hasn't had the rule enforced here, but now that's changed, as it should be... Originally Posted by Wakeuр
Funny that you want this 'rule' to be enforced when you've made a habit of breaking the rules I listed in the primary post of this thread.
He who has the gold rules.