Urgh! In the land of plenty, why in the hell did I just cook a can of Spam?

Alright . Admission time.

I am bored. Thought one had a lusty afternoon outing planned and well, it didn’t happen.

Thought I’d check out in the area in garage in which I try to keep some addditional food stores for the upcoming apocalypse. Not that I believe in such things.

And I don’t have that much in the closet which someday, will provide all that I need to become a future old-woman survivalist action hero.

Probably enough food and water for a few days to weeks or until the zombies start marching through the neighborhood and climbing through broken windows.

Few cans of tuna, bottles of water, and various other items are out there along with several cans of Spam. Spam? Oh yeah, several months back, bought 5 or 6 cans as a lark and put them on the shelves.

So why not try a childhood dinner time memory of cornbread and grilled slices of Spam?

Are many of you out there old enough, or had a modest upbringing, to be familiar with this stuff?

I don’t remember ever feeling the need to vomit when decades ago, a similar type of can was opened up ever so often. As the lid of the can was pulled back, the smell was nauseating. The texture of the processed ‘meat’ was cringe worthy.

Spam is gross but thought that putting slices of in the oven might help the overall look of the stuff.

It has not.

The Spam is haunting me now.

Should I try it? Just give it to the dogs or is it poison for the dogs?

Has my life become so boring that I ... yes, I am obsessing about that stinky Spam that is cooling on a cooked sheet, covered with foil the way my grandmother did it, right now?

I need a hug. Or gift cards.

With the broken garbage disposal, and the stinky Spam in the kitchen that I am currently avoiding by writing this tripe, I fear I’ve become another cliche for the American dream lost.

PS. Update:
The cornbread tastes good.

The Spam is mocking me.

Why did I think for some, Spam was/is a thing? Iconic, whatever.
  • Crock
  • 11-29-2017, 01:01 PM
I keep spam in the pantry for emergency rations (not zombies, but for a power outage, ice storm, etc...).

I rotate through 'em, so I have to eat a can every few months. It's certainly not the finest meat you'll taste, but it's not terrible. It tastes best fried in a pan so that both sides get a nice dark sear. I associate it with breakfast, so I usually eat it with eggs cooked various ways. I like the original and bacon varieties. The turkey spam is gross. The lite and low salt are proportionally less tasty.
  • ~Ze~
  • 11-29-2017, 01:27 PM
I eat spam at least once a week. Love masubi. Part of my weekly poke' routine.
Dayum Elizabeth....you need some daty time darling.....you are way to bored...lol
Shove that spam down your new garbage disposal.
Spam is almost considered a delicacy in Hawaii. Crock got it right, fry it up good, the smell is wonderful. I bet there are 1000 recipes for in (most coming from Hawaii).
  • motor
  • 11-29-2017, 07:39 PM
www.spam.com all you need
I was pretty much raised on fried spam and potatoes. Cube the potatoes and fry them in some grease and then add the Spam. Maybe some onion strips as well. Salt and pepper to taste.

Can I add Beanie Weinies? (sp). Camping out that was one canned staple we had to have in the late '60's, early '70's. With the old army drab canvas tent that weighed about 1,000 pounds if it rained while you were out there.

And who besides me could (can) cook bacon and eggs in a brown paper sack over an open fire without the sack catching on fire?
Like U12, I grew up on spam w/ my Sis and divorced Mom.
I still usually have 1 or 2 in the pantry for quickie snack/meal. Bacon spam and eggs for quick breakfast at work works for me.
It's been elevated to "gourmet" food in HI as mentioned above.
Remember Y2K ? People were buying Generators, cases of MRE's, at the grocery store buying cases of canned green beans, sweet corn, cases of bottled water, you name it, folks were hoarding full cases of ammunition, and our computers were going to screw up ? yeah right uhhu.... give me another line of bullshit.

Big cities like Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, even with the population levels these cities have, shortage is not going to happen. especially this time of year the grain silos are full of grain, silos across north Texas are putting Grain on the ground and covering it with food grade plastic because the silos were never built big enough in the first place, we are not going to run out of food. There is sooo much frozen food in the Cold Storage facilities thorough out DFW, US Cold Storage, Milis Transfer to name a couple there is absolutely no fear of running out ANYTIME soon, just not going to happen period. Whoever came up with this theory can have it back.

Elizabeth,

you really ate Spam when you were a child growing up ?
Did Mom & Dad force you to choke that shit down ? I know my MOM & DAD THOUGHT THEY WERE DOING THE RIGHT THING..Everyone is going to make a mistake. We are all human.
Although I wouldn't feed it TO MY DOG.... my dog is spoiled rotten & I'm sure he turn his nose up at it once he got a good wiff of it, no matter how much you dress it up, if you fried in a pan or on a grill, it doesn't matter. Like I said earlier it is a processed meat & it tastes really bland..Yuk. I had it once or twice when I was a child. You know, feed it to Mikey, Mikey will eat anything...

+1

Shove that spam down your new garbage disposal. Originally Posted by PeterBota
Spam and white bread , had it a lot growing up
Maybe, if you put the Spam down the sink, it'll make the disposal upchuck whatever clogged it.