WTF is up with Priceline?

I travel a lot and have used Priceline for while. The fees keep getting higher and are now outrageous. Almost 30% now. It used to be a good deal with the express hotel deals and the Priceline card rewards points. But now the prices are higher and the fees are getting out of control that other options are better.

Think their stock price could see a hit soon if everyone gets sick of them and boycotts them
I never use those 3rd party companies like Priceline, Hotels dot come, Expedia, etc

They don't necessarily always have the lowest prices, they also don't include every hotel or flight for your destination.

Then they have charges like WiFi is not included - the same WiFi you get for free or breakfast you get for free if you book directly on Hilton or Marriott website.

Then there is the you buy it you are stuck with it policy: pay in advance, no refunds if your travel plan changes, and a lot of $ to make changes to your reservation.
I travel a lot and have used Priceline for while. The fees keep getting higher and are now outrageous. Almost 30% now. It used to be a good deal with the express hotel deals and the Priceline card rewards points. But now the prices are higher and the fees are getting out of control that other options are better.

Think their stock price could see a hit soon if everyone gets sick of them and boycotts them Originally Posted by dallasfan
I also travel quite a lot and I use the citi prestige card for all times we get away for more than four days. The card is really cool, it cost $450 annually but you get a $250 airline credit that is applied against any airline charges, including baggage fees. You book through the citi concierge and they will match any promotions that are bookable on the hotels website. The benefit you get is that with a four night stay, you get a night free that is applied to your card instantly. It's great for business because they bill you for the four nights, then credit you a night back on the card. For business travel, the original fees can be turned in for reimbursement and you end up with the credit to yourself. It's a win win. I am retired and the SO and I travel quite a lot. We always do four night weekend trips instead of three cause of the free night. Last year alone, we were credited back over 5k in charges.
It beats the hell out of the third party outfits. You also get 2x points on your card for travel on the four night chargesnstead of three and you also get to use the hotel points gained since your not using a third party vendor.
Hope this helps if you do work travel.
5-6 years ago, you could find 3-3.5 star hotels (marriotts, doubletree, crown plaza, etc) for $30 per night through name your own price or express deals.

They had 7.5% cash back if you included the 5 points for every dollar spent and the 10% bonus when using their card.

You could go through a site like fatwallet back then and get 15-20% cash back through them on top of that. Now cash back through these sites are 4%.

So you were netting out at $30 or less a night with all the taxes and fees. Cheaper if you spend more night because if cheaper fees for fewer night.

In 5 years, the cost has more than doubled.

Plane tickets through Priceline has never been competitive.
I forgot to mention that.

equipeeler is correct:

you don't earn any Hotels rewards points or Airline mileage by buying on Priceline or Hotels or Expedia and on any of those 3rd parties sites (of course unless you use a special rewards credit card).
I agree that the deals are few and far between nowadays on sites like hotwire and priceline. However, interestingly enough, some of the best hotel deals are actually in the dallas ft worth area.