iPad running slow?

• onei
  • 10-25-2014, 12:03 AM
Ok, I'm not computer stupid. I've built websites that are still in use today (don't really build them any more though), I'm good at graphic design, desktop publishing, excel, etc, etc, but for some reason, my brain just didn't think of the obvious recently.

My iPad kept taking longer and longer to load programs and I couldn't figure out why, so I finally started doing some research. The first site went through the usual stuff I'd already tried, then finally something I read clicked my mind into gear.

I have the biggest, and best iPad2 that was sold back then, knowing that I didn't want to buy again for several years. I have thousands of pics, videos, and music on my iPad, plus I'm an app junkie: if I find a free app that I'm interested in, I'll download it and check it out. Remember, I'm a cheap bastard!

Well I'm pretty sure I figured out my problem. I went in and deleted all the apps I'm not longer using, thus freeing up a lot of space and resources. So far it's like the difference between driving a 1967 VW Bug and any sports car today. So if your iPad (or smart phone for that matter) seems to be bogging down, check how much space you have available and possibly get rid of junk you no longer need or use. Besides, you still have them in your iTunes and can reload them anytime you want to. Just an FYI for those who either went brain dead (like me) or simply need to be pointed in a different direction. Peace out!
  • ztonk
  • 10-25-2014, 03:00 PM
They're just little computers... the more free storage/memory available, the better they run.

z
Thanks for the tip. My phone was slow, so I cleared months worth of text streams with hundreds of photos on them, phone is 10x faster now
a clean puter is a happy puter
My current conundrum on my iPad2: using this site, and sometimes others, I,will hit the back button after viewing a thread in order to get to the forum listing, and it will pull up a cache from a day or so back. Usually a reload will get me the right info, but it's odd.
My iPhone 4s does the same thing since I updated 8.0.2 IOS. I'm hoping the new update 8.1 will stop that, but with Apple putting updates every week I'm getting weary of their incompetence.
I have not updated to the latest and greatest on iPhone or iPad.....

Still works fine, I have read about all the bugs and issues... I will wait.
If you have iOS 7 or earlier, avoid updating. iOS 8 (the latest out as of September) still after 3 updates has horrible problems. Slowed one of my iPad 2's down immensely.
I don't know about the iPads, but my desktop mac27 and iPhone 6 are having absolutely no problems, and running the latest updates on both.
  • quzi
  • 10-27-2014, 06:18 PM
I have no issues with iOS 8.1 on iPad3 and iPhone5s.
They're just little computers... the more free storage/memory available, the better they run.

z Originally Posted by ztonk
That, and form the description it sounds like a lot of his apps were tying up system resources, probably running background tasks. Defintely one of the downsides to iOS vs Windows or Linux is program behaviors are a lot less user accessible.
  • Qziz
  • 10-28-2014, 09:19 PM
Depends on how old it is. If you have one of the first iPads (iPad 1/2/Retina) they're probably being slowed down by the new version of iOS, and newer apps won't run on them as well because developers assume you have a newer model.

Older iPads are still fine to use but if possible don't upgrade them to iOS 8 - keep them on earlier versions. Also, new apps won't run well.
My current conundrum on my iPad2: using this site, and sometimes others, I,will hit the back button after viewing a thread in order to get to the forum listing, and it will pull up a cache from a day or so back. Usually a reload will get me the right info, but it's odd. Originally Posted by FoulRon
My iPhone 4s does the same thing since I updated 8.0.2 IOS. I'm hoping the new update 8.1 will stop that, but with Apple putting updates every week I'm getting weary of their incompetence. Originally Posted by monkey man
FR I updated to 8.1 IOS and now when I hit the back button it does what it is supposed to do.
Thanks MM. Hoping to get around to the update this weekend.