Search question?

Not sure coed is the correct forum for this, but, since it affects both hobbiests and providers, I am posting here.

When using the search function for searching for providers, using the location, I can only select from the list in the dropbox. For DFW, I guess the choice is Dallas-Texas. So it gives me all providers whose location is set as Dallas. It doesn't give the providers with locations set to Ft.Worth, Arlington etc. I don't think there is a way to specifically search for those cities.

So, I think the hobbyists are missing out on some sweeties and providers missing on potential fans.

Seems to be a design deficiency in the search function. I would be willing to consult on it, if interested.

I can't be the first one to notice this! Any thoughts or work around for this?

Thanks, y'all.
Good question. I think what I would do, is go directly to the forum for what you are looking for, and type Fort Worth in the search box. That may narrow things down a little.
Google

site:eccie.net "viewprovider.php" "fort worth"

and

site:eccie.net "providers.php" "fort worth"
Google

site:eccie.net "viewprovider.php" "fort worth"

and

site:eccie.net "providers.php" "fort worth" Originally Posted by Sir Lancehernot
Thanks SL, that is a work around for a single city. In addition to this, I was also wanting to search the entire DFW metro area. Unless I write a custom script, that is probably not possible with the current setup.
The Dallas location includes Ft Worth, Arlington, etc. The search features of the site won't let you split out a specific city from DFW in general because they are lumped together. This is a constant bone of contention for Tarrant county members. Tarrant county is 1.9 million people, One would think its big enough for its own forum
Thanks SL, that is a work around for a single city. In addition to this, I was also wanting to search the entire DFW metro area. Unless I write a custom script, that is probably not possible with the current setup. Originally Posted by MarkusH
"Custon script" already puts you ahead of me in terms of skills, but I don't understand what it is you're trying to do.

You could modify the Google searches with OR to catch some other cities. The problem with Tarrant County cities is the many ways in which they are referred to. Fort Worth (BTW, the correct spelling is with "Fort," not "Ft" or Ft.") can be Fort Worth, Ft Worth, Ft. Worth, FW, Funkytown, Cowtown, and probably several others I haven't thought of. The mid-cities can be Midcities, mid-cities, HEB, or Hurst, Euless or Bedford, as appropriate. White Settlement, Lake Worth, Benbrook, Saginaw, and Haltom City can all be deemed to be in Fort Worth by the ignorant or geographically challenged.

Similar problems can exist east of 360, although, fortunately for the guys over there, there aren't man alternative ways to spell Dallas or Big D, and Garland and Mesquite, don't seem to be hotbeds of hobby activity.

As I said, I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but I doubt in any event that management will be receptive to any suggestions for change.
Thanks SL. To address your question, what I am trying to do? I am trying to get awarenesses on the issue, that who ever decides it is worth it, can authorize the improvement of provider search function. I am only making suggestions. The powers that be can take it or leave it.

You articulated the issue very well, I was thinking on the same lines, but was too lazy to type all that on the phone keyboard.

Anyway, the issue is, the site lets folks type in their location free text, so there are variations on how each city is entered. On the other side, search parameters are limited to the drop down box selections. So the providers who didn't enter Texas-Dallas as their location are probably not being returned in the search.

Example, if a provider lists her location as Hurst, she will not come up in any location searches, as Hurst is not a selection in the drop down box. So if a provider is interested in being found in search, then, she should put the closest location to her from the list available on the drop down box.

Not a big deal, but fixing it would definitely make it easier to find more providers.

My 2 cents.