Turn out the lights, the parties over.....

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/7326487.html

Dandy Don passed away. I wasn't ever a big Cowboy fan, but I was always a Don Meredith fan. RIP Dandy Don.

His playing days were a little before my time but MNF was never quite the same after he and Cosell left.
I never like the Cowboys much either but I always had respect for Dandy Don
I was at the 1968 opening game in the Cotton Bowl where Dandy Don hit Bullet Bob Hayes for a 50 yd TD as Dallas drummed Detroit 59-13. I was at the Cotton Bowl many times when the Dandy Don 'boo birds' came out.

He was a good QB, a better announcer and a great person. A fantastic country boy foil for Howard Cossell's sometimes arrogant New York style.

Still can't believe he didn't take off his coat before he tossed that ball on "King of the Hill."
  • bbkid
  • 12-06-2010, 03:14 PM
My favorite Dandy Don line: “Tell it like it is, Howard. Even it if ain’t.”

He was also responsible for another great line. During a particular game, one of his on-air colleagues made a comment about how hot it was, saying something like, “It has to be miserable for those players – our thermometer down on the sidelines says it's 105 degrees!” To which Don responded, “Yeah but there’s a little breeze blowing, so with the wind chill it’s probably only a hundred & one or two.”
I think he's already posting at the Y.
He'll always be MNF to me.
RIP
RIP
I think he's already posting at the Y. Originally Posted by TheDaliLama
His self-depricating humor would make him one hell of a mod!

I work very hard to hate, hate, passionately hate all things Cowboy...but I couldn't hate that guy no matter how hard I tried.

Just a good, good dude!
Bob Lilly said, “He came out of a hospital to play with a broken rib, punctured lung, and a 104 fever. His nose was so broken it spread all over his face.”
Texas will miss one of it's favorite sons.
  • Trey
  • 12-06-2010, 09:24 PM
I may be to young to remember him but he was in an episode of King of the Hill. Why did he have to miss that hole in that big alamo beer sign, WHY?

RIP
Don

I wonder why they called him dandy I always thought that had some gay connotations to it.
I think he's already posting at the Y. Originally Posted by TheDaliLama
That's funny.
His playing days were a little before my time but MNF was never quite the same after he and Cosell left. Originally Posted by boardman
+ 1 or Ditto
a man's man for sure....frank gifford had some good stories about him during half time of last nights game.

on another note did yall see how NE kicked the shit outta the Jets!! damn lol....im not a big rex ryan fan so i rather enjoyed it
RIP

appropriately:
Meredith's broadcasting career was also not without a few incidents of minor controversy; including referring to then-President Richard Nixon as "Tricky Dick," announcing that he was "mile-high" before a game in Denver, and turning the name of Cleveland Browns receiver Fair Hooker into a double entendre. (saying 'Fair Hooker...well, I haven't met one yet!')