lee evans is not alive

lee evans

olympic champion at the age of 21 at the mexico city olympics and holder of two world records that held up for a couple of decades

winner of the nelson mandela award

known also for support of the black panthers and wearing a black beret in protest

his teammates tommie smith and john carlos were sent home from those olympics

died in nigeria

https://www.usnews.com/news/sports/a...lee-evans-dies
As a friendly reminder, the protest was in 1968. And one of the most stunning moments in sports history.
Well that's only half right ..... the protest was in 1968, and it was one of the most stunningly embarrassing moments in Olympic history .....
Well that's only half right ..... the protest was in 1968, and it was one of the most stunningly embarrassing moments in Olympic history ..... Originally Posted by 00 gauge
That’s like your opinion, man.

I was both moved and ashamed.

I was also proud of my homeboy George Foreman, who waved an American flag on the podium.
Well that's only half right ..... the protest was in 1968, and it was one of the most stunningly embarrassing moments in Olympic history ..... Originally Posted by 00 gauge
Like ali aka cassius clay throwing his medal away. Disgusting!
Like ali aka cassius clay throwing his medal away. Disgusting! Originally Posted by winn dixie
But then he did this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uklmvMYaMk0

Go figure
foreman waved the flag in the ring

as I recall he approached the ropes on all four sides of the boxing ring, had a small American flag and came to attention, maybe almost a small bow of the head, and waved that flag

youtube might prove my memory faulty but that's my recollection

if he also had it on the podium, I just don't recall that, but doing it in the ring made an impression on me

speaking of foreman, I knew a kid who knew him or at least was there when foreman was and knew of him at camp gary in san marcos
I'm just curious to know how many people who are not black in this forum have ever taken a black history class so they can understand the reason why these athletes displayed the contempt they felt as human beings.
Great question!

And you may be right about the ring vs podium NGIT.
Good on all of them.

The Olympics are a corrupt cash grab that promote oppressive regimes.

And using the opportunity to represent the US and to use your first amendment right to shine light on injustice or to be critical of it is one of the most patriotic things one can do.
We know they were home schooled by their ignorant racist daddy Lucas. And the woman knew her place in society also
The Olympics are a corrupt cash grab that promote oppressive regimes. Originally Posted by GastonGlock
Yeah, what these countries will do to host the Olympics or the World Cup are as greedy as it gets.

The money they spend on bribes and the infrastructure make you wonder just how much money they make after all of that. Of course they would never disclose it, but it is obviously extremely lucrative and worth the investment.
I'm just curious to know how many people who are not black in this forum have ever taken a black history class so they can understand the reason why these athletes displayed the contempt they felt as human beings. Originally Posted by Lucas McCain

Maybe you can write a report for us in a PDF file, comparing it to the modern day NFL and NBA players and the national anthem ? While you are at it, add the history of when slavery began.....probably at the beginning of civilization.

All kinds of humans have endured slavery.
All kinds of humans have endured slavery. Originally Posted by VitaMan
LOL. They weren't protesting slavery, genius. Just in case you didn't know, the black slaves were free by then. They were protesting the lack of civil treatment of black people in America at the time because they had the loudest voice and platform to let the world know.

I am not exactly sure what 2021 athletes have to do with 1968 athletes. Now it's just a fad, then it was actually a real cause and concern, hence; the animosity displayed at those aforementioned events in this thread.
George Foreman: ‘If I had to do it all over again, I would have had two flags’

https://theundefeated.com/features/g...1968-olympics/