hobby phones

has anyone ever used an app like burner or hushed for a hobby phone instead of an actual second phone?

seems a lot cheaper and you can change your number quickly if needed
I use google voice. Easy to sign in and out of on your phone, can block numbers quick and easily, and you get all texts or calls on one phone.
Burner sucks if you plan on seeing a provider more than once. It automatically burns your number after 7 days whether you want it or not, then they don't recognize the new one.
Talkatone works ok.
Google voice is adequate as well.
I've always used Google voice! It's great.
Google voice works.
  • ztonk
  • 07-01-2016, 06:59 PM
Burner sucks if you plan on seeing a provider more than once. It automatically burns your number after 7 days whether you want it or not Originally Posted by submarineracer
With the Burner app, if you pay a monthly fee, you can keep the same burner number until you really burn it.

As has been stated, Google Voice is very popular. Keep in mind that you can't forward a Google Voice number to another Google Voice number, which may be a problem for some.

Downside of using any app on your phone is you lose the "plausible deniability" defense if you get caught by an SO/spouse with it. A burner phone you can always claim isn't yours, you found it and need to turn it into lost-and-found, etc.

z
Buying a prepaid phone (even an Android smartphone) plus a prepaid card to increase your balance to a useful level isn't really that expensive at all.

The last time I bought a new hobby phone, it cost me less than 50 for the phone and a prepaid card to increase my prepaid account balance. Even a good phone with a screen larger than 4 inches shouldn't cost you more than a single hh session with most Austin providers.

Carrying two phones around when I'm actively hobbying can be inconvenient, but I'd prefer to keep my RW and hobby communications on separate hardware and networks.
With the Burner app, if you pay a monthly fee, you can keep the same burner number until you really burn it.

As has been stated, Google Voice is very popular. Keep in mind that you can't forward a Google Voice number to another Google Voice number, which may be a problem for some.

Downside of using any app on your phone is you lose the "plausible deniability" defense if you get caught by an SO/spouse with it. A burner phone you can always claim isn't yours, you found it and need to turn it into lost-and-found, etc.

z Originally Posted by ztonk
Good advice on the apps.

You can always uninstall any of them while not using, but keep in mind they still show up as purchased apps in history of Google play store, probably apple store too.
Google App Nextplus. You can login and out without losing numbers and msg. Free txt
I've always used Google voice! It's great. Originally Posted by JadeRose
love the new avi
love the new avi Originally Posted by Alana kay

LOVE your new sig photo...
I use pinger. it works just fine and it has an app. although if you plan on using it for talking they give you an hour free then they charge. but I only use it for texting
Downside of using any app on your phone is you lose the "plausible deniability" defense if you get caught by an SO/spouse with it. A burner phone you can always claim isn't yours, you found it and need to turn it into lost-and-found, etc. Originally Posted by ztonk
Double lock that shit. First, always set a password on your phone. You did remember to encrypt it right? Now install an app locker like App Lock. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....applock&hl=en. Now you can lock down apps from launching without a secondary passphrase. There is also a hidden image gallery too. Now your hobby photos are locked away safe.
I use a burner phone, keeps all communications seperate from the real world. All I need is phone and text, no more, no less. They're great for quick toss too, had to do it twice before, pop the card and battery, gone!
Something seems really weird and unusual about this thread.

Oh yeah now I know. It's actually quite informative and useful. How strange.