Cliff Lee is a Philly again?

So do the Rangers make a run at Grienke? Would need to be some sort of multi-team deal from what I read. We may have some propects but not the ones the Royals want.
well, at least it wasn't the Yanks. but i hear it was 'only' 5 yrs, $100 million. bet the Rangers brass is feeling a little jilted tonight. he was probably offered more from the Rangers.
Lee left a ton of money on the table both from the Rangers and from the Yankees. He must like Cheese Steaks a hell of a lot. Not only does it cost him money, but it costs other players, especially other pitchers, money, too. Not a good mover, IMHO.

A lot of people busted their ass a long time ago so he could have the benefits of free agency. He didn't hold up his end of the bargain.
He loved it in Philly and thought he was going to spend the rest of his career there, but they traded him away to get Halliday. It was not the money, it was what he wanted. I think the Rangers should go after Garza of Tampa Bay in a trade, the GM of KC wants way to much in a trade for Grienke, like that deal the Rangers pulled off for Tex to go to Atlanta, and he will be wanting even more now that Lee is gone.
Good for Lee (though bad for Rangers). Took less money to play where he and family were comfortable. Totally dig his decision.

I'm not sure that I would want to pitch outdoors here in July and August.

Would Mavericks have won the NBA Title in '06 with Nash at point guard instead of Harris? Maybe, but Nash wanted more millions rather than play with his best friend, Dirk. Never understood his decision. How many millions does one family need?

Beach
Nash left for contract lenght, not money. He wanted to be assured a paycheck past his prime. Cuban's fault more than anything else.
Cliff will be sorely missed in DFW!
Actually I think the Rangers dodged a bullet here as they were offering too damn much money - they can get another starter by trading from their ML depth and they already have a decent rotation: Wilson, Lewis, Hunter, a return to form by Feldman and Derek Holland ... plenty of young depth at 4th or 5th starters role ... problem is they don't really have an ace but Garza or Greinke for T. Scheppers, M. Perez, Chris Davis, and Profar or engel beltre. Leave the bullpen as it is with Ogando, O'Day, Francisco, and Feliz. and maybe one of the new kids they don;t trade.... Why mess with a good thing?

Philly may very well win with its rotation for a couple of years but Lee won't be so high on Philly as they boo him off the hill (as only Philly fans can) when he loses effectiveness a couple years out. Granted, in the weaker NL he'll likley enjoy a longer run. Still, Texas offered too much $$ for too long (as did the NYY) so I'm Ok with them

What I don't like is the talk of Texas even considering trading Michael Young for that Dog of Shame Adrian Beltre. You shouldn't cut out your heart to get an ass....they're plentiful.
Sunlover you are right on the money! Couldn't agree more.
Sure Cliff Lee left money on the table. But thinck about it . . . Being on a pitching staff with Halliday, Oswalt, and Hamels makes the Phillies the odds on favorites for the World Series for the next several years.

As much as Michael Young is the face of the franchise, the Rangers need to shore up third base. Young is not a good third baseman. A good third baseman can save a lot of runs from being scored.
Lee left a ton of money on the table both from the Rangers and from the Yankees. He must like Cheese Steaks a hell of a lot. Not only does it cost him money, but it costs other players, especially other pitchers, money, too. Not a good mover, IMHO.

A lot of people busted their ass a long time ago so he could have the benefits of free agency. He didn't hold up his end of the bargain. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
How in the hell did he not hold up his end of the bargain? He went where he wanted to go. There is nothing in free agency that says you are required to accept the highest bid if you don't want to work there.

Tell you what TTH. I will pay you 10 times what you make now but you must work everyday in an outhouse with poor ventilation. How does that sound? Don't like it? Too fucking bad, others worked hard before you to make sure you have this opportunity. Don't let us down you hear! Oh I know that other guy offers more desirable working conditions for you but he is only offering 7 times what you make now.

Are you kidding me?
i'me guessing a couple of factors came into play here. first it seems like he liked it here and in philly. but remember that stretch of ball where he was less than ordinary? wonder if he's thinking; 1) i pitch in the NL my stats will be helluva lot better than in hitters park in AL, 2) he doesn't have to be the lead horse, he has Halladay and Oswalt to cover his slack if he has off periods (ie less pressure). and 3) if he can win a title or two, the fans won't boo as much if he becomes rather ordinary in his later years. remember his main weapon is his control. its a fine line for him between greatness and rather average. we saw that. he probably knows it too. can he stay that sharp for 6-7 years?
How in the hell did he not hold up his end of the bargain? He went where he wanted to go. There is nothing in free agency that says you are required to accept the highest bid if you don't want to work there.

Tell you what TTH. I will pay you 10 times what you make now but you must work everyday in an outhouse with poor ventilation. How does that sound? Don't like it? Too fucking bad, others worked hard before you to make sure you have this opportunity. Don't let us down you hear! Oh I know that other guy offers more desirable working conditions for you but he is only offering 7 times what you make now.

Are you kidding me? Originally Posted by Boltfan
+1

When was the last time the Rangers were in on the #1 pitcher in baseball, that being said his record here was not that impressive
Nash left for contract lenght, not money. He wanted to be assured a paycheck past his prime. Cuban's fault more than anything else. Originally Posted by jesg333
The "past his prime" part is all Cuban spin (and I like Cuban). Nash is a free agent next summer and he's still in his prime. He hasn't fallen apart physically like Cuban predicted.

Are you kidding me? Originally Posted by Boltfan
1. Nobody did work hard or busted their ass in the case you posit. In fact, nobody lost a year of their major league career (and effectively ended their career), appealed a case all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court so that lawyers could have the option to change jobs. We've had that option all along. But Curt Flood did just that for Cliff Lee and thousands of ball players who followed him (and who will follow him in the future). So there was a real sacrifice by others to put Lee where he was. And his failure to take top money and sign a way below market value contract will cost other free agents next year and beyond. Free agency isn't some given. It was hard found, and hard won. It shouldn't be treated cavalierly. To take a contract at 70% of market value is disrespectful to Curt Flood, all the guys who came before and took big contracts from bad teams because it upped the market price for the next guy, and for all the guys who will follow you.

2. I'll work anywhere for a year at seven times my average salary for the past three or four years. Under any conditions. Because then I can quit for the rest of my life. If your offer if real, just let me know.