Advice

As we all know there is not a body rub place in the Syracuse area anymore, and I would like to see about changing that but I need advice and some guidance. How do you start this business? What license do you need? How can you make this business as legal as possible . Can anyone give me some advice?
All states license massage therapists. Usually, to be licensed, you must complete a program of study of a certain # of hours at a school acceptable to the state and in some states you must pass a written and practical examination.

Running a legal massage service is very easy. Pay particular attention in class to proper covering technique so that you learn how to respect the client's modesty.

You'll need good equipment, and there is no substitute for a good massage table, preferably with adjustable height. Massage oils make a big difference.

Real massage is pretty physically strenuous. You'll need a massage yourself after. LOL

Anyway, after your personal licensing you will either work out of your home, someone else's business, or start your own business. This latter will likely require licensing by the city.

That's the legal part.

What you do behind closed doors? I have no idea.
But what if I dont have a massage license and dont particularly want to go to school and get one. Is there any way around this.
Not to the best of my knowledge.

The education requirement in New York is 1000 hours of classroom instruction in a variety of things plus 150 hours of practice on people.

The full requirements are here: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/mt/mtlic.htm

Please notice the English proficiency requirements and stuff. All of these laws are intended to prevent massage therapy from being used as a front for prostitution, and especially prostitution involving foreign-born women forced to work against their will.

Education Requirement

To meet the professional education requirement for licensure, you must:
  • Complete high school or its equivalent and graduate from a school or institute of massage therapy with a program registered by the New York State Education Department* as licensure qualifying, or its substantial equivalent in both subject matter or extent of training, provided that the program in such school or institute shall consist of classroom instruction with a total of not less than 1000 hours in specific subjects satisfactory to the Department.
  • Complete coursework in anatomy, physiology, neurology, myology or kinesiology, pathology, hygiene, first aid, CPR, infection control procedures, the chemical ingredients of products that are used and their effects, as well as the theory, technique and practice of both oriental and western massage/bodywork therapy. Within the 1000 hours of education, you will have had to complete a minimum of 150 hours of practice on a person.
unfortunately, no. i believe the quickest program is 6mo and it is a 6 day/wk commitment. i think you have to 1000 hrs of training/education to even take the state exam.
were we typing at the same time lol?
Take this for what it's worth... you are permitted to advertise non-therapeutic body rubs. Never use the terms massage, massage therapy, masseuse, etc. The violation for prostitution is a misdemeanor; practicing massage without a license is a felony.
Key to running one of these businesses is choosing the right space. Massage parlors generally get closed down due to complaints. With the crap economy, landlords will rent out anything to anyone. You want to stay out of residential areas. Look for low-visibility commercial areas with discrete parking for your customers, generally class C office space where the other businesses next to you don't have visiting customers.
Good luck.
  • m2244
  • 09-27-2010, 11:19 PM
nikki you are correct i am undergoing 1000 hours of crazy classes myself and it is 5 days a week and 9 to 430 everyday...i though am not going to be a masseuse i thought about it but my hands would brake off and im pretty sure that mwebber is right as well
I was always under the impression that a licensed LMT pretty much loses her license forever if ever caught engaged or linked in anyway to prostitution. Just my take but given the risk and the fact that it takes so much time and money to get the license, its best once you attain the license to really leave yourself out of the hobby. Choose to only do LMT work or be an SP...never engage in both or you open yourself to the risk of losing all that effort. Looking for loopholes is just risky given consequences.
Wlhrgfan- you are correct most massage therapist do not want to mess around with their licenses. What happens- as Mary alludes to- the work really beats up your hands. Most massages therapists last 2-5 years then find something else to do. So how do earn more money and see less clients... extras. Pretty massage therapists who practice outside of high end spas are subtlety solicited constantly so they either give in or just leave the profession especially when your hands hurt at the end of the day. Really sucks for these woman especially given all their training.
With this economy, massage business is hurting. Educational training and money better spent in a field like nursing IMHO.
True Webber...But even in a hurting economy a license of any type is better than none at all. Just make sure you protect your investments in the long term is all I was alluding to
not only would getting caught doing something other than massage get your license revoked, but conviction of any crime can cause the licensing boards to revoke the license. i believe getting caught practicing without a license is $500 fine first time, $1000 2nd time, etc...after 3 times you have to take the exam or are permanently barred from ever holding a license in ny. mr webber you are correct in the 2-5 year work frame...or as they call it burnout lol. and yes, it beats your back, hands & mind working in a semi lit room, no talking and that damn celtic dreams music...not to mention the smell of essential oils make me wanna get sick now!
Nikki,

Well put. BTW, nice new images on your showcase. I've really got to come see you.

Max
  • Aguy
  • 09-29-2010, 08:40 AM
I agree with mwebber. I thought the place on East Malloy was ideal in the regard to not being visible from the road and the spaces next to it were more or less just place swhere someone answered the phone and stored their equipment. My suggestion would be something on the edge of light industrial opposed to something near retail or general office space. I don't know if you are better off in Syracuse proper or one of the burbs. I don't know if you have to charge sales tax or not. I think there are two directions to go with this. You think of some kind of similar business and call up the city to see if you needed a permit. The other choice is just go ahead and do it until someone says something to you and then plead ignorance, tell then you called up such and such office and they told you that you where fine. Then in a contrite voice ask them to help you. Sometimes it is easier to get forgiveness that to get permission.
Hey Gang- I'm a criminal lawyer, so if you want the details especially you Amber, then drop me a note, as it's actually fairly easy to get started.