SXSW

Ladies, who is going to SXSW for the music and who is going as a provider? I guess they aren't mutually exclusive.

Men, if you are going to SXSW, how many will seek providers?
No one really cares about sxsw, except the city of Austin.
No one really cares about sxsw, except the city of Austin. Originally Posted by pyramider
Oh cool, a flame war! I could say stuff like "FU, you don't know what you're talking about." But that would just fan the fire. I'm not going to defent SXSW. The only time it was worth going was when it truly was only Austin that cared about it.
The original intent and purpose of SXSW was to showcase unkonwn bands so music producers could come and listen to look for the next big thing. It was scheduled during Spring Break because the bars on 6th street (not the one now, but the 6th street it used to be) would be empty so they gladly embraced the idea.
The organizers also had an almost limitless supply of free labor because the students that didn't leave town could volunteer and were allowed into any of the venues for free. It's not the same anymore.
Similar to Mardi Gras, the local folks avoid downtown during SXSW because it has gotten rediculously big and obnoxous. It has become a Spring Break destination for college kids because of the free beer and the megastars that are showcased now. The organizers sold out to corporate greed and oversell their badges that can cost upwards of $800. I miss old Austin. So in the end, no, it's not only Austin that cares about SXSW, but I wish it was. Cheers!
Ladies, who is going to SXSW for the music and who is going as a provider? I guess they aren't mutually exclusive.

Men, if you are going to SXSW, how many will seek providers? Originally Posted by Pokey1965
Several years back, I was planning a trip to Austin and it fell on that weekend. Rooms were crazy expensive and I decided to not go.

Did a little bit of research during that time and I don't believe that being in Austin during SXSW would be that great of an opportunity for working. People are going to want to avoid certain areas of town. Traffic is probably horrendous, in a town where traffic is already an issue.

I put it in the same category as the Super Bowl. Not any extra work going on, or not much. So to answer your question, no, I wouldn't go there and work during this time. Maybe some day, it might be fun to attend, though!

EW

PS Pyramider - Your new avatar is disturbing. Why can't you find an avatar of something kindof cute? Like a puppy!!!
Oh cool, a flame war! I could say stuff like "FU, you don't know what you're talking about." But that would just fan the fire. I'm not going to defent SXSW. The only time it was worth going was when it truly was only Austin that cared about it.
The original intent and purpose of SXSW was to showcase unkonwn bands so music producers could come and listen to look for the next big thing. It was scheduled during Spring Break because the bars on 6th street (not the one now, but the 6th street it used to be) would be empty so they gladly embraced the idea.
The organizers also had an almost limitless supply of free labor because the students that didn't leave town could volunteer and were allowed into any of the venues for free. It's not the same anymore.
Similar to Mardi Gras, the local folks avoid downtown during SXSW because it has gotten rediculously big and obnoxous. It has become a Spring Break destination for college kids because of the free beer and the megastars that are showcased now. The organizers sold out to corporate greed and oversell their badges that can cost upwards of $800. I miss old Austin. So in the end, no, it's not only Austin that cares about SXSW, but I wish it was. Cheers! Originally Posted by Pokey1965
You know, I'm can't help but think of this...

But seriously: SX is overcrowded, and not at all "showcasing indie/small bands" anymore. The opposite. It's as mainstream as you can get. I still get a badge and go to the interactive/film on rare occasion just to say I went. I've never hobbied there, and can't imagine I'd want to. It's a nightmare getting to and from any given stage or event.
I set up, in a van, under a I-35 bridge, down by the river, a baloney and Velveeta sandwich cart, Cheetos's and grape Nehi's are my specialty. I also sell 6 packs of Schlitz ($25) and Colt 45 quarts. Sometimes someone wants their food warmed so we do that by using the air cleaner on the engine. There are always lots of providers around, both that want to be paid and others who just want to be fucked, and some "down by the river" people who are on the "up " side of being fucked, so you never know what could happen.

Here is my pic so you can recognize me.

Men, if you are going to SXSW, how many will seek providers? Originally Posted by Pokey1965
  • jwood
  • 03-10-2016, 06:39 PM
Posting this in Austin might work better.

PS Pyramider - Your new avatar is disturbing. Why can't you find an avatar of something kindof cute? Like a puppy!!! Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers

You sure you want me to locate a puppy photo?
Posting this in Austin might work better. Originally Posted by jwood
Yes, but I want to know who from other parts of the US were coming.
You know, I'm can't help but think of this... Originally Posted by SaytownFinest
HA! That's funny. (Insert Grandpa Simson's voice here): NOW GET OFF MY LAWN