Great Day in America

The Supremes finally got one right. They ruled that the states have the right to determine their own affirmative action policies. Wow - states rights and the ability to end affirmative action! First time I've been proud to be an American in years. Now I understand Mrs. Obama's point when she was finally proud of America. They keep this up and I may not ever leave!!!

"This case is not about how the debate about racial preferences should be resolved," Justice Anthony M. Kennedy said for the court. "It is about who may resolve it. There is no authority in the Constitution of the United States or in this court's precedents for the judiciary to set aside Michigan laws that commit this policy determination to the voters."

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...#ixzz2zfqxAkeo
Brilliant statement by Kennedy. I wish he, and others, would follow that more often.
Hopefully, he will take a more leading role if he can continue to see things so clearly in favor of strict interpretation.
.. in favor of strict interpretation. Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer
That "sea change," if it holds, will contribute to the predictability of decisions.
Whatever. I guess we'll start reverting back to a society that lacks African-American or Latino physicians, lawyers and other professionals in any sort of meaningful numbers.

Minority admissions and enrollments at public universities have already started to plummet. What a shame.

I wonder if the numbers of white applicants who could demonstrably establish that they were denied admission because of racial preferences in the last 40 years will be in any way comparable to the number of minorities who were previously denied, and in the future will be denied the opportunity to attend a public university?
Brilliant statement by Kennedy. I wish he, and others, would follow that more often. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BTLFAswwgo

Ain't it fun ... dont go crying to you mother??????? start stealing changing the law stealing quota etc. erase memory drug poison microwave ??????
Whatever. I guess we'll start reverting back to a society that lacks African-American or Latino physicians, lawyers and other professionals in any sort of meaningful numbers.

Minority admissions and enrollments at public universities have already started to plummet. What a shame.

I wonder if the numbers of white applicants who could demonstrably establish that they were denied admission because of racial preferences in the last 40 years will be in any way comparable to the number of minorities who were previously denied, and in the future will be denied the opportunity to attend a public university? Originally Posted by timpage
If anyone has a case for affirmative action, it would be black people who descended from slaves. Latinos came here voluntarily, and in my experience, most are willing to earn what they get in life.
Problem is, our society is now so diverse that over half of all kids under 18 are not white anyway, we have every kind of race/ethnicity imaginable, and diversity is getting very complicated.
Why not just use merit instead of revenge/race hustling?
By the way, legacy preferences can go, too.
If anyone has a case for affirmative action, it would be black people who descended from slaves. Latinos came here voluntarily, and in my experience, most are willing to earn what they get in life.
Problem is, our society is now so diverse that over half of all kids under 18 are not white anyway, we have every kind of race/ethnicity imaginable, and diversity is getting very complicated.
By the way, legacy preferences can go, too. Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer
CAN'T ARGUE RESORT TO VIOLENCE.... NOW WHO IS THE MONKEY??????
By the way, legacy preferences can go, too. Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer
What percentage of Latinos came here voluntarily? Or Southern Europeans? Or European Jews? Or SE Asians?

Please define "voluntarily." Are refugees from tyranny, genocide or extreme poverty tourists?

Did you actually end your post by disagreeing with yourself?

why shouldn't you be deported?
What percentage of Latinos came here voluntarily? 98%+Or Southern Europeans?100% Or European Jews?100% Or SE Asians? 98%+

Please define "voluntarily." No one made the motherfucker do it Are refugees from tyranny no , genocide no or extreme poverty tourists? yes

Did you actually end your post by disagreeing with yourself? no

why shouldn't you be deported?Because I was fucking born here Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
Numbers in red represent good faith estimates

I wonder if the numbers of white applicants who could demonstrably establish that they were denied admission because of racial preferences in the last 40 years will be in any way comparable to the number of minorities who were previously denied, and in the future will be denied the opportunity to attend a public university? Originally Posted by timpage
This post typifies the liberal mentality in a truly chilling way. Counting labels, keeping score--all meaning is to be found in the number, none in the individual. Has there ever been a death-camp commandant quite so cold-blooded as our modern apostles of compassion?

Little Timmy, would you rather have a latino/AA doctor who was admitted to medical school because of their ethnic background or a doctor who was admitted to medical school because he/she was the best qualified?

I knew a couple whose daughter was admitted to a low-end medical school because she was hispanic. She applied to several medical schools and was rejected because of her test scores and GPA. The better solution would be to have someone who did good on her medical admissions test and had a high GPA.

I really don't see how omitting ones race on an application is a good thing. Leaving it off will ensure only the best qualified are accepted.

I was denied a scholarship in College because I was not considered one of the "chosen" minorities. When I applied for the scholarship (which was based on being a minority), I asked the financial aid representative a few questions. 1) If a person has a hispanic father and white mother, is that person a minority? YES she replied. 2) If a person has a hispanic mother and a white father, is that person a minority? YES she replied. I said I wanted to apply for the scholarship because my mother was Italian (didn't speak a lick of English when she came to the US after marrying my father) and my father was white, so I am a minority. I should have sued them, but it wasn't fashionable at the time. So I call BS on giving preferential treatment to minorities unless ALL minorities are included not just the ones that are politically correct at the time.

Here's the problem, Timmy. You are exacerbating racial tension by stating that so-called minorities cannot compete based on merit. I firmly believe they can. When you believe as you do, you further the negative stereotype that any minority in a profession only got there because of their race. This immediately makes their competence suspect. That is totally unfair to them, and undermines the hard work and determination it took for them to get where they are.

Quit treating them as children. Treat them with the respect and dignity they deserve. If we start doing that, we will be on our way to no longer referring to them as "them". We will be us.
Back to reality - people find racism in this silly Avril Lavigne "Hello Kitty" youtube music video.
I can't find it..

Affirmative action was terrible.
In the early 70s I was turned down for a job for not being black. THe employer had a state mandate to hire 50 blacks
I was turned down by two colleges prior to that because they had quotas to fill with so many blacks.
The only time from 1968 to 1974 that I was on equal footing with the blacks was with Uncle Sam!