Proposed rule change

A thought on Posting in this news dominated forum.

What if we had a rule that if you are copying and pasting a news article that you site your sources before posting the text itself? I see a ton of posts here that are just reposted news articles without additional exposition or citation.

I feel like linking to the source will streamline people being able to get context to the story and also make it clear what is someone's own thoughts vs reposting someone else's.

I frequent another forum that enacted the same rule and I think it makes for a better experience for everyone.

Example

Here is an interesting news story I found here: https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/idaho-...ry?id=96478410

University of Idaho quadruple murder suspect Bryan Kohberger allegedly posted in an online forum years ago that he had "crazy thoughts" and "delusions of grandeur."

The New York Times reported on Jan. 13 that Kohberger, 28, allegedly posted on an online message board devoted to a condition called visual snow syndrome, a disorder that causes someone to see static.
Same for Twitter posts. Share where you got your content from, says I.
This proposed rule change makes too much sense. And would completely derail most of these ridiculous threads. Good luck getting that rule passed. I'm all for it.
  • El-mo
  • 08-01-2023, 09:40 AM
This board, in its current state, is exactly what [redacted] wants it to be. And there will be no changes to improve this forum, because it’s already optimized, and their eyes. Triggering the libs and confirming the base’s biases is what they want.
Because, you know, "triggering the libs" is exactly what a hooker board should be all about lol
I like the idea of posting the first few sentences or the first paragraph, and then a link to the rest of the article. This would save the huge walls of text. If you find it interesting, click the link and read the rest. Also, nothing behind a paywall.
Yeah I could get behind that.