How did I miss it? A thread for Chung Tran.

I’m sitting here listening to Boz Scaggs “Silk Degrees” and wondering, where the hell was I when this classic came out?!? It’s not like my Disco Sucks filter would have kicked it out.

By the way, Gerry Rafferty’s “City to City” also fits this category for me.

All I can say is I’m glad I bought a turntable again. So much I missed over the years….
I believe my name has been in the title of more posted threads, than any other name in ECCIE history!

It's cool. 75% of them have been positive threads

I don't know how you missed Silk Degrees. But better late than never! It got lots of R&B play along with big Pop sales and acceptance.

The underrated Gem is ''what can I say''. Lido Shuffle and Lowdown are rightful classics.

Rita Coolidge did a good version of ''we're all alone'', but Boz's version has more soul and feeling.

The original CD version is limp-sounding.. Too quiet. Which is unusual. most CD's mastered in the past 25 years are ultra-compressed ear-bleeders. The MasterSound Gold version is the CD to get, by far the best sound.

Of course, LP's by virtue of manufacturing (at least for original analog recordings), will not suffer from the digital compression that plagues so many CD releases. The record player needle will literally jump off the LP if much compression is applied in the recording.

The Gerry Rafferty is great, too. The DCC Gold compact disc is a marvel of sound. You probably can't buy it under $150 today.
All I can say is I’m glad I bought a turntable again. So much I missed over the years…. Originally Posted by TinMan
What kind did you get, and do you recommend it? I have a pretty big LP library that I haven't touched in years. I need to do something about that.
The other hidden gem for me is “What Do You Want The Girl To Do”. Lowell George’s version is my favorite, but Boz does a great job with it as well. I went ahead and ordered the CD, since I like to rip them to FLAC for portability…I’ll be interested to compare to the 180g vinyl, which is a really fine pressing IMHO.

I was surprised how hard it was to find a copy of City to City. I finally found an older pressing on eBay that had been unopened…wonderful sounding copy from the 80s.
What kind did you get, and do you recommend it? I have a pretty big LP library that I haven't touched in years. I need to do something about that. Originally Posted by billw1032
There are a lot of fine turntables in the $500 range. I settled on a UTurn Orbit Custom, with a solid wood plinth, acrylic platter and Ortofon 2M Blue, which is a well-regarded cartridge that’s a steal when bought as an upgrade in a turntable like this.

I have the upgrade bug now, and am considering getting a refurbished vintage player such as a Thorens, and keeping the UTurn in reserve.
Boz plays on, and contributed songs to Steve Miller’s first two albums, too. Both St. Mark’s grad who hung together for longer than most.
I knew Steve was from around here, but had forgotten that Boz was, too, and that they both went to St Marks.