DART/TRE?

Anyone ride DART or the TRE? I just started riding again, commute from Bedford to N Dallas. I know it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round, but damn there are some strange people in DFW.
Anyone ride DART or the TRE? I just started riding again, commute from Bedford to N Dallas. I know it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round, but damn there are some strange people in DFW. Originally Posted by Dilbertgolf
I live convenient to a stop in ftw and ride to airport stop, every so often to dallas.
yeah, alot wierdos.
But I rode subways and trains in la for 8 years!!

I have a chl and and can pack it on there if I wanted too.
TRE typically isn't too bad. It's when you are standing at one of the light rail stations or riding the light rail that they come out. Nowhere near enough LE presence on there.
A few years back, I'd take the DART train to Union Station and then head over to my job on the other side of the airport.

Although it took longer than driving (given good traffic), the gas savings, less stress from zero road rage, time to unwind on the way home, and also the added exercise walking to and from the stations, all added up to great benefits.

Made me think fondly of when I worked in Georgetown in the late 90's, getting off at Dupont Circle and walking to my office. Loved working in DC back then.

There are many benefits to your new routine and the strange people you encounter will not seem strange in a couple more weeks.
I agree. At a point it becomes old hat. Ditto on the savings. I have roughly an 80 mile round trip commute.
If you think folks in DFW are strange, try the New York City subway during a summer evening rush hour. Then try some of the trains in India.

Actually, I think Greyhound takes the weirdness awards on their transcontinental runs.
I have season tickets to the Mavericks and have to drive over to the games from Fort Worth. My first year, I took TRE a lot to avoid the drive. It was kind of fun, and the people were okay--they were pretty much all going to the game. On game nights, TRE stops right at the front door to the AAC, and then the last train back waits about 20-30 minutes after the game to take every one home.
years ago, I lived at Preston & Arapho and took Dart to downtown Dallas and the bus would get me there in the same time as I would drive and park 2 blocks away. Mean while I would read the newspaper, so much better
I do ride DART. I have never been able to read a newspaper on either the train or bus. I always seem to luck out and get caught having to stand. Still, spending 65 dollars a month so I do not spend 125 or more on fuel seems okay to me.
I always take the green line to Mavs games, very convenient from deep ellum.

tried takin the bus to work from time to time. kind of a hassle, but doin my best to be a good citizen.
I sure wish that they had a line that went to the baseball stadium in Arlington. It's a horrible drive to go from Dallas to the ballgame. I timed it that last time I went. 55 minutes from my house to my seat, 60 minutes coming home. I can do Mavs games in 6 to 10 minutes going and 15 leaving.
I'm very hard of hearing, to the point that am basically legally deaf. I can get an unlimited pass for $32 that let's me ride all the time. So really, it's a no brained for me to take advantage of it. There's good and with it. I have to basically use a mix of it all. TRE to Union Station, Red Line up to the Bush station then catch a crosstown bus. Just makes for a long trip. For the most part, the people are okay. There is some random strangeness. Early mornings in the rail is when you typically get zombie types. Some homeless will wander on every now and then. Afternoons on the rail around Forest Lane station is usually thick with thuggish type teenagers etc. I usually just keep my head hurried browsing eccie on the smart phone.
I always like taking the DART when I can. The only place I don't like waiting for a station is at the West End. Not only do I get approached by the panhandlers all the time, it smelled kind of funny. They need to do ,ore to keep that place at least a bit cleaner. I understand that the area has gone down in the past few years, but c'mon.
  • thx
  • 07-31-2010, 12:29 PM
I have heard many times...
The City of Arlington is not interested in bringing public transportation since it primarily gives low income and handicapped a way to get around the city.

(well, also, they would prefer to spend the sale tax money towards the stadium)
my commute is 10 miles each way. with a hybrid getting 40+ mpg, it cost less to drive each day than to take the dart train. now, if my employer subsidized a dart pass, it would be different.

but then it would be difficult to get to my afternoon delites via dart :^)