Theatre Thread

As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm going to see the Long Red Road in a few weeks which I'm really looking forward to. I'm interested to hear what plays others have seen/would like to see. I want to see some of Chekovs stuff...mainly 3 sisters and the cherry orchard. Has anyone had the pleasure? I'd also like to re-visit some Shakespeare. Ive only seen Macbeth and Julius Caesar though both were very good (albeit a long time ago). Any suggestions?

C
Blackbird.

It premiered at the 2005 Edinburgh International Festival . I saw it in Toronto last year.

A very compelling story presented in a very restrained straight forward manner that makes the story even more powerful. It can be disturbing as it deals (in the past tense) with a sexual relationship between and adult and a pre-teen.

Well worth seeing if you have the chance.
Thanks for that..I'll keep my eye on it.
"Shaking Cecilia" is another Ed. Fest. recommendation that was put to me but it's no longer around. One of the co-writers is too busy acting now lol.
I think I'm going to head up there if not this year, next.
Not for the whole 3 weeks but a decent portion of...

C x
Bump.
We don't have any more theatre go-ers here?

C
Last show I saw was Spamalot years ago. Sorry.
I saw Paul Newman as "The Stage Manager" in "Our Town" as a benefit for the Westport Country Playhouse. Nose bleed seats. Still was worth it.

As a really little kid, I was taken to Man of La Mancha on Broadway. I think José Ferrer was in it. I got wood over Aldonza/Dulcinea. I was a horny guy then. Of course, nothing has changed in those intervening years.
uuhhh, do musicals count???

I go to the local Shakespeare in the Park if the weather isn't too hot here (Dallas). "Much ado about Nothing" and "A midsummer's night dream" along with the the "M" Play you mentioned. Have never seen, but have read "The Tempest"...my favorite Shakespeare play of all.

Any Neil Simon play will catch my eye (old school, I know).

Recently, I've enjoyed the musicals...last year in London "Wicked", and "We Will Rock You"...
"South Pacific" most recently at the new opera house in Dallas. When in Vienna, I go to the opera as often as possible...maybe more my speed.
BTW, I will be moving to London ( most likely North) in May, and I will take full advantage of the theatre while I'm there. So Camille, any suggestions are welcomed as well.
London eh? Seems a few of us are toying with/planning to make the move to that side of the pond this year

In London I much prefer fringe theatre. You get to see some really well written and acted productions for a much lower price because those involved are often untapped talent. You get to see the stars before they rise as it were. Other places to watch are theatre groups set up by writers and actors. Tom Hardy, Kelly Marcel and Brett C Leonard for example are co-owners of the bad dog theatre company..look for their webpage and subsequent productions. They hone untapped talent support and nuture it and bring it to the stage. There are several groups like this that are worth checking out. To be honest, one of the reasons I have a facebook account is so that I can join the pages of these groups and get frequent updates of who is doing what when. I've found some great plays this way!!
Also, if you get the chance I would HIGHLY recommend going to the Edinburgh festival that runs for 3 weeks in August. There is the main festival and the fringe festival...depends on what you like. You'll see some brilliant stuff there and for a very cheap price.

Hope this helps

C xx
Let us not forget Hamlet.

Wicked is a great show!!

Often a show is in how it is presented. Small cutting edge theatre is a risk, but the rewards (as noted) are outstanding. I suggest taking the risk and if one or two plays are not up to snuff, just consider that the price of admission to finding the really good stuff!!