Any tips for video/photo play

I have a FWB who has expressed a desire to be filmed (for private use), either photos or video. Being somewhat new at trying to do this, especially while participating, I found our first attempt to be a bit disjointed, breaking up the natural flow a bit, although most pics looked quite good. I want to be actively involved, but not the center of attention, and it wouldn't matter if I wasn't really seen. She particularly wants to be tied up on film, which works for both of us.

So does any have any tips on equipment, methods, lighting, tricks, software, etc., for taking particularly videos? Activities that work better than others? I found photos quite easy, but anything involving film much more difficult without setting the camera on a stand of some kind. But that puts me in the picture and usually in the way of most views. Thanks to RevMan for some ideas for a statically mounted camera moved for various positions, but I'm looking for something a little smoother from a first person POV.

So any ideas?
You might consider a GoPro with a head or chest strap. Tripod mounted camera works well but your going to have to work with positioning. Your other option is to find someone to film it for you.
You might have ad some offers already but I'd be happy to photo or video for you. I am a hobby photographer/videorapher and can do some decent work. Absolutely no need for me to participate. PM me back here if interesed.
I on the other hand have zero experience with video or camera, but would also like to offer my services . . .
Continuous lighting would be the way to go if possible, no distracting flashes from the still camera on the video, but would require shooting higher ISO on the still camera or using really bright lights like Fresnel spots.

The Fresnels put out a lot of heat but it's great light.
  • Re
  • 08-27-2016, 05:51 AM
1. Good lighting. Cheapest cost per effect in photography. Get some softboxes imo.

2. Decent camera. You don't have to go overboard here, skill and familiarity do more to get a good image than the camera. Nevertheless an entry level dslr will shoot better images than the most expensive smartphone. I suggest the Samsung NX500, probably the best mid level camera under 1,000$. It shoots beautiful 4k video, and takes great stills. Plus it's fast, good buffer, and mirrorless.

3. Good lens for camera. I like fast primes. 30mm for APS-c cameras, or 50mm for full frame.

4. Tripod. Stability is important, even if moving the camera periodically.

5. A camera person. Makes the subject more natural, shooting yourself splits your attention and makes everything seem that much more manufactured.

If it's for personal use, I'd just pay a photo/videographer personally, lot cheaper than buying your own gear.