One Small Step

Apparently, President Obama is trying to reign in some of the egregious abuses of power by the NSA. This is a very small step, but I don't recall any administration in recent history making an effort to turn back the tide of statism. Don't get me wrong, we are still losing the war against tyranny, but this battle is a small victory.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/25/us...data.html?_r=0
I don't believe it for a second; Obama has lied to us multiple times about the NSA spying, Obamacare, IRS, etc....................

Why do you believe anything written in this NYT piece ?

Just because there is legislative action doesn't mean Obama or the next president will follow the law............

Obama has already proven he is willing to by pass laws and the Constitution.
"President Obama said he wanted to get the N.S.A. out of the business of collecting call records in bulk while preserving the program’s abilities. He acknowledged, however, that there was no easy way to do so, and had instructed Justice Department and intelligence officials to come up with a plan by March 28 — Friday — when the current court order authorizing the program expires."
WTF happened to Odumbo's pen and phone? You know, the tools he's using to willy-nilly change -- without congressional input -- the provisions of Odumbocare with!?!?! Just more friggin' posturing by the POTUS poser.
Apparently, President Obama is trying to reign in some of the egregious abuses of power by the NSA. This is a very small step, but I don't recall any administration in recent history making an effort to turn back the tide of statism. Don't get me wrong, we are still losing the war against tyranny, but this battle is a small victory.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/25/us...data.html?_r=0 Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
+1 - tyranny is hyperbole, but no one has knocked back the surveillance state since about 1975.
  • CJ7
  • 03-25-2014, 11:33 AM
with the recent influx of communism in America I'd support keeping NSA around just to keep an eye these newfond RED son of a bitches and keep this country safe from all the Putin worshiping cocksuckers..
How does that make us better than Putin, CBJ7?

And I was wondering why Obama didn't use an EO, but whatever. Even if it's grandstanding, it's still a small step in the fight against tyranny.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/25/us...data.html?_r=0 Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
Hopefully it isn't a smokescreen and will move things in the right direction. At least he is signaling to people to tone it down.
  • CJ7
  • 03-25-2014, 11:59 AM
How does that make us better than Putin, CBJ7?

And I was wondering why Obama didn't use an EO, but whatever. Even if it's grandstanding, it's still a small step in the fight against tyranny. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy

I'm using my 1st amendment right and speaking out against the very thing YOU deplore hoping to stop communism thats apparently has become a new rage among rightwingers .... that's how
I'm using my 1st amendment right and speaking out against the very thing YOU deplore hoping to stop communism thats apparently has become a new rage among rightwingers .... that's how Originally Posted by CJ7
Do you have a link documenting the rise of right wing communists?
  • CJ7
  • 03-25-2014, 12:09 PM
Do you have a link documenting the rise of right wing communists? Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer

yeah, read this damn board
yeah, read this damn board Originally Posted by CJ7
Do you have an independent link, then?
COG, you need to study history and you would probably be dismayed. In 1917 Woodrow Wilson wanted to monitor telegraph and telephone communications in the country. He could not get a law passed to do it so....he wrote an executive order bringing all 14,000 separate companies on the auspices of Ma Bell. Remember Ma Bell COG? It was an invention of the democratic party and a monopoly. It also allowed the government to access phone calls and telegraph messages without a warrant. Ma Bell just volunteered what was wanted.

Obama is going to turn the intelligence gathering over to the same phone and Internet companies that have already volunteered to give up information in the past. Nothing has changed, nothing will change except the players.
  • CJ7
  • 03-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Do you have an independent link, then? Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=1013817&page=6

Just take a look at the very first sentence in the NYT piece. The administration's plan is putatively to unveil a "legislative proposal for a far-reaching overhaul." Does anyone believe for a minute that any "legislative proposal" wouldn't be so loaded down with crap that its failure in congress would be preordained, and that the administration had planned that to be the case right from the starting gun?

But at least the whole charade would allow Obama to claim that he "tried." After all, that's what really counts, isn't it?

And just imagine the extent to which a spectacle such as this could stoke the excitement of media myrmidons as they fall all over themselves with adulation over how "responsibly" the president is governing!
  • CJ7
  • 03-25-2014, 02:24 PM
if Obie farts in the morning someone will gripe about the way it smells