How common is PTSD in our world?

There have been a lot of the collective "us" that have seen/experienced some really negative shit that weighs heavy on the heart and mind.

And I would bet that there are a lot of confused, and emotionally hurting, ladies (men, too) out there suffering from PTSD, that would benefit from some counseling/therapy, and don't even realize that they have it.

Thoughts? This might be a difficult topic for some.

And I don't believe that this topic should discuss individuals at all, because that would be against the guidelines. I'm just suggesting a discussion about post traumatic stress disorder and if, or how, it exists in the hobby.

Being traumatized in this world is very real and relatively common.
Wow, interesting topic and one that I can relate to personally and positively.

I went through a time in my life when I went through one abusive relationship after another each one becoming progressively worse until I ultimately found someone who would've killed me.

Anyways, without going into details, I suffered some horrific and degrading abuse.

When I sought professional counseling I was diagnosed with Chronic PTSD.

I will admit that because of it, when I feel threatened I tend to react blindly and may fly off the handle. It is also something that has affected my life in many significant areas, such as my ability to keep and maintain close relationships. I have been plagued with insomnia, or the extreme of sleeping entirely too much. My dreams were troubled.

On a positive note. PTSD is the only mental illness that is 100% curable. I have made progression in leaps and bounds just being out of an abusive environment and keeping positive and uplifting friends in my life. I no longer take any type of medication and when I recently went and had a mental evaluation I was deemed normal and in no need of psych services. That was a great feeling considering a few years ago I was a total trainwreck.

PTSD, yes it is misunderstood, and people who suffer from it often unfairly judged and thought of that they should just "get over it" wish it was that simple.

Yes, I think it almost certainly exists in and can be caused by the "hobby". I think many use the forum here as a means of self validation to deal with it.

But I'm not a true believer in "counselling" in the general sense. It seems to me "counselors" will always have an agenda and push their world view, simply because they are human and that's what humans do. Certainly I think veterans should think long and hard about formal "counseling" lest they end up on all kinds of lists they don't want to be on.

There is no substitute for a true and honest friend, but I think talking openly and getting a wide variety of input from (mostly) well meaning strangers may be beneficial.
Yes, I think it almost certainly exists in and can be caused by the "hobby". I think many use the forum here as a means of self validation to deal with it.

But I'm not a true believer in "counselling" in the general sense. It seems to me "counselors" will always have an agenda and push their world view, simply because they are human and that's what humans do. Certainly I think veterans should think long and hard about formal "counseling" lest they end up on all kinds of lists they don't want to be on.

There is no substitute for a true and honest friend, but I think talking openly and getting a wide variety of input from (mostly) well meaning strangers may be beneficial. Originally Posted by Iaintliein
This pretty much lines up with my thinking on PTS as well. Well said Iaintliein
Uaintliein. I completely agree, as well. Especially about the formal counseling. I am a Nam vet, but fortunately don't suffer from much residual trauma, though many do. I suspect, however, that a lot of the issues on the board are with the ladies. Mental and physical abuse seems to be a common denominator with many providers. I wonder sometimes if their choice of occupation is a benefit or detriment to their psyche. Me, I just suffer from too little love.
I suffer from it going through the hurricane Katrina. I never will get over that.
I am a firm believer that a lady does not just happen to get into the sex industry (stripping/making movies/hobby). We don't strive to be hookers/strippers when we grow up. PTSD is a scary thing, maybe it was something that happened as a child or as an adult, but therapy helps.

Just my opinion, no study or research was done.
I am a firm believer that a lady does not just happen to get into the sex industry (stripping/making movies/hobby). We don't strive to be hookers/strippers when we grow up. PTSD is a scary thing, maybe it was something that happened as a child or as an adult, but therapy helps.

Just my opinion, no study or research was done. Originally Posted by Laura Lynn
good points. BUT, what if the therapist says get out of the hobby...what then?
  • !VI!
  • 10-24-2015, 03:47 AM
.... oi ms.EW this is deep.... i'll get back to you on this one
I think PTSD is an epidemic considering we have been at war for the last 15 years. Not to mention the violence and abuse so many young children experience growing up. I read some very interesting articles on the internet about psychoactive drugs and how useful they can be for dealing with PTSD. So mushrooms and ayahuasca therapy for everyone !
.... I read some very interesting articles on the internet about psychoactive drugs and how useful they can be for dealing with PTSD. So mushrooms and ayahuasca therapy for everyone ! Originally Posted by playerplano
I've considered going to Peru and experiencing one of those ayahuasca ceremonies.

But I keep up with recovery news (for those who are interested, thefix.com is one of the BEST recovery sites out there. It's very cool!), and lately, since these ceremonies (and the benefits) are being touted in news stories, and on the internet, a lot of hacks (if they all weren't hacks to begin with) have started to hand out this stuff and there have been a lot of deaths reported.

Still, perhaps the benefits outweigh the risks involved?

Just my opinion, no study or research was done. Originally Posted by Laura Lynn
Your post reminds me of two "conversations" I've had, one with myself, one with a co-worker.

The first was reading about a big bust with the LEO stating, ". . . none of these women grew up dreaming of being prostitutes." Which immidiately led me to ask myself, "how many night clerks at 711 grew up dreaming of being night clerks at 711?" I don't know why, but that instantly sprang to mind.

I think a majority of people end up in their career or jobs without a lot of planning, I know I did even though mine requires a degree.

The second conversation was with a female co-worker, a very bright manager (mine in fact) ex-engineer. When something about the oldest profession came up she immediately scowled and quipped, "anyone who would do that is just 'damaged'". I refrained from pointing out how much "damage" could also be done to women turned into prudes by overly assertive, or overly religious mothers.

I don't mean to trivialize the events that led ladies to this life. But, in my opinion, life deals blows to us all. It's how we react to them that makes the difference between leaving scars. . . or facets.
I've considered going to Peru and experiencing one of those ayahuasca ceremonies.

But I keep up with recovery news (for those who are interested, thefix.com is one of the BEST recovery sites out there. It's very cool!), and lately, since these ceremonies (and the benefits) are being touted in news stories, and on the internet, a lot of hacks (if they all weren't hacks to begin with) have started to hand out this stuff and there have been a lot of deaths reported.

Still, perhaps the benefits outweigh the risks involved? Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers

I think there is a fundamental reason why every human culture has come up with some mechanism to "escape" reality in order to deal with it, even to the point of risking death.

People are very strange animals.
Your post reminds me of two "conversations" I've had, one with myself, one with a co-worker.

The first was reading about a big bust with the LEO stating, ". . . none of these women grew up dreaming of being prostitutes." Which immidiately led me to ask myself, "how many night clerks at 711 grew up dreaming of being night clerks at 711?" I don't know why, but that instantly sprang to mind.

I think a majority of people end up in their career or jobs without a lot of planning, I know I did even though mine requires a degree.

The second conversation was with a female co-worker, a very bright manager (mine in fact) ex-engineer. When something about the oldest profession came up she immediately scowled and quipped, "anyone who would do that is just 'damaged'". I refrained from pointing out how much "damage" could also be done to women turned into prudes by overly assertive, or overly religious mothers.

I don't mean to trivialize the events that led ladies to this life. But, in my opinion, life deals blows to us all. It's how we react to them that makes the difference between leaving scars. . . or facets. Originally Posted by Iaintliein
You are very intelligent.. Thank you for that.
Proving started out as a coping mechanism for me. And ended up being exactly what I needed to get thru the most traumatic event in my life. Certainly not the most healthy way of dealing with a trauma and things definitely could have gone the other way but I can say that unlike most, providing has actually been a means to improving my situation (and not just financially).

When I started I was so broken and so terrified of doing anything normal that staying in different hotels having sex with different men comforted me. I felt safer doing that than going to a grocery store or mall or work or home because I couldn't handle the actual physical pain in my stomach and chest when I saw anything that reminded me of my life before. I was so lost. I met a true friend here in the hobby who pushed me to make things happen that I was afraid of facing again. I had terrible anxiety about doing the most basic things I used to do in my real life. This person would not accept excuses from me. He didn't pay my way or make things easy by any means, but he was extremely nurturing to me and helped me see the good in people again. But he expected me to be a functioning member of society again. I don't think I could have done that by myself.

I look forward to the day when I'm in a position to pay it forward and be a friend like that to someone else, although I doubt it will be in the hobby.

Like LL said, no one sets out to do this or lands here by accident. I think just like anything else in life, it's how you handle what you've got to deal with at the time. Trauma is it's own beast. What is one person's tragedy is another person hangnail. Suffering is so subjective and so relative.

Whatever someone is going thru that day, week or year, I hope I can help them escape in a way that's the least destructive. I'm still using this to escape too but as time goes by its less and less. So I think with the right mindset and influence this world has the potential to be therapeutic although usually I think the opposite happens.

Edit: oops that was a lot longer than I intended. EW, you come up with some really interesting topics. Thank you.