TRYING TO GAUGE SOME INTEREST IN A SHOOTING RANGE

I have been speaking with a couple of buisness men I know about opening a shooting range with a hogans alley style range. Do you think this would be something you would be interested in doing, I think it would be pretty popular, what do you think?
DD, if you had space big enough and could offer Pepper Poppers (especially "engage until down" targets that auto-reset), multiple other types of reactive targets AND private after-hours target parties, you'd be on to something . . . I just hope you're looking at an indoor space, it would be useless in the winter months here in KC if not (it may get some tactical training play in KC during winter but I doubt a lot of "pleasure" shooters are going to brave the cold - or want their armaments exposed to the elements - not to mention the liability of the ice, etc.) although it would have to be a VERY large indoor space . . . maybe in the caves . . . it would be immensely popular. Sign me up!

For those of you that don't know what the Alley is - here's a link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogan's_Alley_(FBI)

And, this one from the FBI - http://www.fbi.gov/page2/jan05/hogan013105.htm

Kisses,

- Jackie
In one of my earlier jobs I worked underground in Sugar Creek. There are many underground sites with 20 foot ceilings and thousands of square feet of area. The back stop would be a mile of limestone.
The caves would be great, but I'm not sure about the ventilation. Indoor ranges have very strict air quality standards that are hard to maintain. As for the original post, heck ya...sign me up. Long, long time ago, I had a class A security license in Kansas City, Mo. We were required to qualify at the KCMO PD pistol range. They had "Hogan's alley" set up, but of course would not let us use it. Looks like fun and I always wondered how I'd do.

There are several ranges in KC, but I don't know of any that have movement and moving targets like your talking about.
you can't just shoot in the caves, you would have to build a facility. We laid the slab floor and installed lighting. The walls and any special ventilation would be up to the owner/builder.
There is an indoor range just north of Topeka. I think they do a pretty good business, especially in the winter. But even in the summer, they do good business with a 'situational pistol course'. The backstop is metal, with angular fins, to direct the bullets down. I think they even allow .22 rifle, and perhaps other long guns, with modified ammo.

Their biggest money maker seems to be in handgun rental and ammo sales. Say you want to buy a pistol, but aren't sure what you like...you can rent them by the hour, to try them out.
"DD, if you had space big enough and could offer Pepper Poppers (especially "engage until down" targets that auto-reset), multiple other types of reactive targets AND private after-hours target parties, you'd be on to something . . . I just hope you're looking at an indoor space, it would be useless in the winter months here in KC if not (it may get some tactical training play in KC during winter but I doubt a lot of "pleasure" shooters are going to brave the cold - or want their armaments exposed to the elements - not to mention the liability of the ice, etc.) although it would have to be a VERY large indoor space . . . maybe in the caves . . . it would be immensely popular. Sign me up!"

Damn I've got an erection now LOL. I think I love you!
Well I appreciate the imput, of course this is a long long long long way from reality, but it is nice to know that there would be a lot of positive interest. We were looking at both indoor and outdoor courses, with the outdoor course being a combination of pistol and rifle. Of course there is a lot of research which must be conducted regarding zoning, and building code requirements. I will let everyone know how its progressing.
Just speaking from experience in trying to get zoning for a client for an outdoor paintball course....zoning will tough for an outdoor range.

Here in Shawnee County, the Sheriff had trouble with their outdoor range. The range was first, then houses came in and nimbys complained. The Sheriff had to move the range.
Only in America LOL
The Bullet Hole has two great indoor ranges. Membership required but a good value.