Anything fun to do in Austin while visiting?

Hi everybody, I am coming back into Austin today but the last couple of times I have visited I didn't get a chance to get out much, but everyone says how much fun Austin is.

So can you make any recommendations on places to go, eat, night life, day time fun?

Thank you!

Luv
Recommendation: come back when it's not 100 degrees outside!

~paddleboarding on ladybird lake
~see the freetail bats
~have a cocktail Drinkwell
~do a Segway tour of downtown
~get a beer at Shiner Bar
~eat at Frank and Angies/Huts
~hang out at Whole Foods
~SoCo
~sit in I-35 rush hour traffic
~drive down Lamar rd, starting at one end and going all the way to the other
~go to Mt Bonnell (hit La Luna Gloria while you're there)
~eat at Kirby Lane or Magnolia Café or Threadgills
~Listen to some live music at Saxon Pub
~take your picture with Stevie Ray Vaughn on the ladybird hike/bike trail
Skip Threadgills. Yes, it's got history and atmosphere. You can pretend to be cool by going there. Unfortunately, the food sucks these days.

If you must check "Threadgills" off your hipster bucket list, go there and get the cheapest thing on the menu. Then go elsewhere and get a meal you'll actually want to eat.
I consider myself fun to do, but that might not be the crux of your question.

Contrary to GG's opinion, I like Threadgill's CFS (Chicken Fried Steak) and black and blue salad.

The Continental Club is also very Austintatious.

To each their own.
I consider myself fun to do, but that might not be the crux of your question.

Contrary to GG's opinion, I like Threadgill's CFS (Chicken Fried Steak) and black and blue salad.

The Continental Club is also very Austintatious.

To each their own. Originally Posted by saustin

Did Someone Say AUSTINTATIOUS?!?!?

SORRY I COULDN'T RESIST!!!!!!

I recently came back from a trip to Austin. Just go downtown, Sixth Street. Lots of great bars, all types of music. On your way, stop at the Congress Avenue Bridge about 8:30 p.m. to view the nightly bat migration over the river, 1 million winged chihuahuas going out looking for dinner. That was pretty cool. (Too bad the temperature wasn't. Whew!) If you're going down Congress, the Capitol Building at night is darned impressive. Coincidentally, my favorite hangout was The Bat Bar downtown. Good rock 'n roll bands the nights I was there, reasonable drinks. Ask for the Bat Punch, a sweet and fruity drink they were making during the ROT Rally.

SoCo, aka South Congress, has neat shops, lots of vintage clothing, interesting jewelry and decor, particularly the Lucy in Disguise with Diamonds costume extravaganza. Crazy selection, accessories for every outfit, not just costumes. Lucy's (no relation) nearby serves up tasty fried chicken like yo mama would make, fried deviled eggs, and Sweet Tea Chess Pie (a zillion calories but worth it), but avoid the homemade cayenne 'tater chips if you want to be able to actually taste anything! Lots of little hole-in-the-wall pizza joints downtown, but my fave was Roppolo's Pizzeria with excellent NY style pie. Just stroll down the street with a drink in one hand, a slice in the other. The Museum of the Weird downtown was an interesting oddity, supposedly haunted, and there's a little sideshow there every night. You can ride a giant jackalope at the Jackalope Bar on Sixth, and get a good burger.

Want to take a dip? Barton Springs Pool, fed by the 4th largest spring in Texas, is a crisp 68-72 degrees year round. Very large , deep swimming hole, pretty scenery, and quite refreshing this time of year.

I like Austin.

Find a strange bat downtown and get drunk then go eat some tacos from a food truck. If you still have any energy hit up XTC for after hours
For one your hot , shit you have me drooling lol
down town is probably off the chain def always shit to do, or you could come play with me lol ijs
Hope you find something fun sweets
Skip Threadgills. Yes, it's got history and atmosphere. You can pretend to be cool by going there. Unfortunately, the food sucks these days.

If you must check "Threadgills" off your hipster bucket list, go there and get the cheapest thing on the menu. Then go elsewhere and get a meal you'll actually want to eat. Originally Posted by GneissGuy
Love this place and food, your sick lol but youve been here longer so I know no diff but I think this place rocks and lots of hot waitresses,
If you're still in town this Saturday there's a Burlesque show at the Paramount Theatre downtown

LM that ad says JULY> I would go this Sat but is it one month away hun??? I love burlesque shows and we have some great troops here, the jiggle watts are the best and cocolectric is my dream girl
LM that ad says JULY> I would go this Sat but is it one month away hun??? I love burlesque shows and we have some great troops here, the jiggle watts are the best and cocolectric is my dream girl Originally Posted by sue_nami
Ooooops my bad!!! it's still too early in the morning for posting!!, thanx for noticing. disregard my previous post I really need to quit smoking.