Will NY Racing stewards shoot themselves in the hoof? I mean foot?

The New York Racing Association bans nasal strips for horses racing in the state. California Chrome uses them. The owners of the horse are threatening not to run in the Belmont if they are not allowed to use them?

So what's the big deal? NBC will get zero people tuning in without the Triple Crown possibility. Attendance will be about 1/2 or less of what it does if CC runs. Handle will be down sharply.

So do they stick to their guns? Or shoot themselves in the foot?
This is really stupid to not have the same regulations from track to track.
If it's good enough for Churchill Downs and Pimlico it should be good enough for
snooty Belmont Park.

If he doesn't run I call horseshit on NY.
Whatever happens, I predict CC will run. Healthy horse, chance at history, has run before w/o nasal strips.
If the stewards decide (and yes it's their call not a rule) to not allow the nasal strip, then the I think the stewards should be given a new job at the track. They always need a few good men to keep the stalls clean in the barns and what a great job they would have shoveling shit all day long. And for the record even though they are not part of the NYRA, harness horses in New York can use a nasal strip when they are racing.

I would bet if they asked the trainers and the owners of the horses that plan to run against California Chrome, not a single one of them would have an issue with CC using a nasal strip.
If the stewards decide (and yes it's their call not a rule) to not allow the nasal strip, then the I think the stewards should be given a new job at the track. They always need a few good men to keep the stalls clean in the barns and what a great job they would have shoveling shit all day long. And for the record even though they are not part of the NYRA, harness horses in New York can use a nasal strip when they are racing.

I would bet if they asked the trainers and the owners of the horses that plan to run against California Chrome, not a single one of them would have an issue with CC using a nasal strip. Originally Posted by cubsoxbull
Exactly, NYRA has always done this on a case by case basis. That being said, it would be in the best interests of horse racing and their credibility to put their decision up asap. Unless they are still reviewing the bribe offers...
California Chrome can wear a nasal trip in the June 7 Belmont Stakes, just as he has done for his prior six wins in three other states, Martin Panza, a senior vice president for the New York Racing Association, said Monday morning.

"I can confirm the stewards have been in touch with Art Sherman and told he can use it," Panza said.

The use of a nasal strip became a cause celebre the past 24 hours after Sherman, who trains California Chrome, was surprised to find out Sunday morning at Pimlico he might not be able to use the nasal strip in the Belmont Stakes, in which California Chrome will go for the Triple Crown. The use of a nasal strip is not specifically banned by state law in New York, nor even a house rule at the track. It is strictly up to the discretion of the track's stewards.

Two years ago, the stewards denied I'll Have Another the use of a nasal strip in the Belmont Stakes, a decision that became moot when I'll Have Another was scratched on the eve of the race with a career-ending injury.

The make-up of the stewards, and NYRA's executive staff, has changed since then, and the state now has an equine medical director, Dr. Scott Palmer.
California Chrome can wear a nasal trip in the June 7 Belmont Stakes, just as he has done for his prior six wins in three other states, Martin Panza, a senior vice president for the New York Racing Association, said Monday morning.

"I can confirm the stewards have been in touch with Art Sherman and told he can use it," Panza said.

The use of a nasal strip became a cause celebre the past 24 hours after Sherman, who trains California Chrome, was surprised to find out Sunday morning at Pimlico he might not be able to use the nasal strip in the Belmont Stakes, in which California Chrome will go for the Triple Crown. The use of a nasal strip is not specifically banned by state law in New York, nor even a house rule at the track. It is strictly up to the discretion of the track's stewards.

Two years ago, the stewards denied I'll Have Another the use of a nasal strip in the Belmont Stakes, a decision that became moot when I'll Have Another was scratched on the eve of the race with a career-ending injury.

The make-up of the stewards, and NYRA's executive staff, has changed since then, and the state now has an equine medical director, Dr. Scott Palmer. Originally Posted by cubsoxbull

To be honest, I am very very surprised with this ruling. And as someone who will be trying to beat him in a 3 weeks, I am not sure I am completely happy with it