NBA PLAYOFFS: the I-45 Series....

Okay...regular season is (finally) fini and now we can start watching some "real basketball".

I've little to no hope the little Mavs are in any shape to make a run to the championship this year. However....I (along with the masses) never saw that run in 2011 ever taking place either. So who really knows what's gonna happen (other than Steph Curry can shoot the b-ball from anywhere on the court)?

That said, 50 wins got us the 7th seed in the west and a date with cross-state rival Houston Rockets (opening game this evening in H-town). The Rockets love isolation plays (with Harden especially)...penetrating the paint for layups....kicking it out for open 3's....and going to the free throw line.

That said, the Mavs could still be the victor in this series because we have an improved one-two punch in the middle with Tyson Chandler and Amare Stoudemire....and hopefully an invigorated Dirk on the perimeter.

The key to Dallas' success might actually end up in the hands of the offensive talents of Montae Ellis and the defensive skills of Rondo. Both need to prove themselves in this series IMO for various reasons.

My pick: Mavs in 6

Stay tuned.....
YOu have a better chance of playing tiddly winks with your butt cheaks than the Mavs winning 4 games against the Rockets this series, Houston in 5.
Midgetwrestler, I think Dallas has an excellent chance to win the series. We're about to see wither Howard is in shape to play 35+ minutes. Mavs will run his ass ragged. If McHale has to sit him more than half the game, and I think he will, Mavs have a good chance, especially is Parsons is healthy.

Houston is a horrible FT shooting team once you get past Harden. And it's a team that I contend isn't build for a seven game series. Too much reliance on three point shooting won't work in the playoffs nearly as well as in the regular season.
Well it was a fun game to watch
Good game plan by Dallas. Mediocre execution. I wasn't aware that Houston's second unit ran that much. Dallas had the most success when they ran against Houstin's first unit and slowed it down and uglier it up against the second unit.
Mavs attempted a paltry 17 free throws to the Rockets' 45 (hitting on 32 of those attempts). In addition, Houston hit on 10 three-pointers (to the Mavs' six). If those trends continue, this will be a short series indeed.

In addition, if the Mavs can't get better shot selections (and makes) by starters Rondo, Montae Ellis and Chandler Parsons, this thing is done. Rondo goes 7 of 16....Ellis goes 5 of 16....and Chandler goes 5 of 15. That's terrible production from these three (especially to not find a way to get to the free throw line when all three could see their shooting was off that evening).

Lastly, if Rondo continues to throw the ball "at the basket" like a 13-year old girl (and praying he doesn't get fouled in the act) the writing is on the wall. He's an offensive liability and the Mavs have no business whatsoever in resigning him to a long term contract.
Dirk is showing his age, Rockets ran better than I thought, Dallas played well but Jason Terry was the X Factor and Houston won, Tuesday's game will be intense.
This won't be much of a series if Ellis and parsons don't decide to show up..both were non existent in game 1.dirk and rondo played a fantastic game.with rondo I can't just look at the stats..he had a huge impact on that game especially the 2nd and 3rd quarter.getting Dwight in foul trouble like they did in game 1 is their only chance in this series.houston was a different team when he was in the game..imo he won game 1 for them bc Dallas dominated when he was on the bench.

throw game 1 out..the series starts Tuesday night..game 2 is when game plans from the coaches will really take over..and dammit if harden isn't the most frustrating "superstar" on the planet..makes me sick to my stomach to watch him fake his way to 30 every game..but hey if the refs are gonna give it to him then do it
Hmmm? Let's see....Harden is allegedly an MVP candidate this season and goes 4 of 11 from the field while "old Dirk" hits on 10 of 14.....both, by the way, finished with 24 points apiece to lead their teams in scoring Sat nite.....

BTW, don't forget (Corey) Brewer as an x-factor (13 of his 15 pts came in the 4th period). If Dallas continues to be late on their defensive rotations, Brewer and Terry will both see wide open 3's all night long.....

Back to Harden for a moment.....NBA refs continue to have problems officiating today's game OR recognize the fact they're being duped....and Sat's game was a great example. Harden is going to the foul line at an all time high percentage. (Michael) Jordan never went to the line per minutes played at the rate this guy is (and are you telling me Harden is a much more explosive player than MJ was? C'mon!)

The Association is being conned by players like Harden who have learned how to manipulate the system......and it's making for a really bad game IMO.

Dirk is showing his age, Rockets ran better than I thought, Dallas played well but Jason Terry was the X Factor and Houston won, Tuesday's game will be intense. Originally Posted by midgetwrestler
Dirk is showing his age, Rockets ran better than I thought, Dallas played well but Jason Terry was the X Factor and Houston won, Tuesday's game will be intense. Originally Posted by midgetwrestler
Stick to football. Oh wait, you don't know anything about football either.

Dirk looked pretty good for his age.
Not sure about Rondo's contribution. He was -25. Yeah, he had 15 points, but he took more shots than Dirk (who scored in the mid 20's). Rondo needs to score enough to make Houston defend him, but he needs to shoot less than Dirk.
Houston Won Dallas lost, keep on crying little girls.
Houston Won Dallas lost, keep on crying little girls. Originally Posted by midgetwrestler

Well, there ya have it, Sports Fans......the series is over.

For the first time in NBA history, a team has advanced to the next round of the playoffs by winning their series 1-0.

Midge.....you can taunt Mavs fans all you wish; have at it. Point taken....Houston won game one. Time to move onto game two this evening (ooops, wait! didn't we just declare the Rockets the official winners already?)

Most of what I've read on this thread (and written myself) has been pretty well stated analysis of what took place a couple nights ago. Bottom line, Dallas did not play very well and quite frankly didn't deserve to win.

That said (and if it's crying then so be it) what irks me (and others) is how James Harden has been given carte blanche' by the Association (and the refs) to create a parade of bogus fouls. The refs bail him out time and time again and send him to the FT line because they're too blind to see what he's doing......

NBA refs just need to wise up to professional floppers and con artists like Harden (and others) and stop bogging down the game with a whistle every 5 seconds.
I appreciate your analysis of the game. Logical sports discussion is always welcome. Midget just enjoys hating on everything Dallas.

Doesn't matter anyways, best team in Texas isn't playing in this series. Until the band decides to hang it up in San Antonio they will always have my vote. And that is coming from a Lakers fan. I just appreciate the talent and consistency of the Cuban era Mavs.
I never said anything about Houston winning the series in one game. I said Houston won Dallas lost, end of statement.

Oh yes San Antonio got their ass beat too. Looks like Houston will continue on in the playoffs while Dallas and San Antonio start getting ready for next year.

Talk about hate, James Harden is an MVP candidate, so hate him all you want for playing within the rules, he is having an incredible year.

Yes keep crying Nancy's, maybe that will help the pain go away. in case you have not heard, the team that wins game one in a series during the NBA playoffs, win 77% of the series, that comes from ESPN so......

Turn out the lights the party's over NANCYS!!!!!!