IT Career vs. Programming (BCIS) Career

I'm under 35 years old and have a chance to go back to school this fall and take some courses and get some certificates, even a degree if I plan to stay the next 2-3 years in school. (Already have 38 hours, mostly basics and electives)

My question for people who know both IT (networking) and Computer Science (programming, writing code) is: HOW do I know which may be best for me?

My question for folks who have only done one of them and not really too much of the other: Why did you choose your career path and what do you like/dislike about it?

What I've heard so far is: Most friends told me to go for a CCNA certification if I go into IT (to start with that at least to get my foot in the door) and if I do Comp Science, learn the languages as much as possible and start writing code and get a bachelors in BCIS.

I know both of them CAN pay well, especially writing code, but of course I hear how stressful these jobs are. But I'm used to stress so I don't think that will be much of an issue.

My next step after I hear what you all say is to go see an advisor at my nearby community college and talk to them about it.

THANKS for everyone's help in making a decision on what to do.
Have you written code before? Writing code is more of an art than a science. Yes, you have to learn the technical aspects of coding, but to write good, clean code, takes an artist's skill. For example, I learned how play piano when I was young and despite learning how to read the notes and what keys to play, I could never make flowing, melodic music.

On the other hand, IT for the most part is a technical/engineering skill. It's designing/assembling/implementing systems/networks and maintaining/troubleshooting them. This field is very much for the technical and analytical minded.

There are many sites online now that you can learn to code on. I would say start with them and see how you like it and how it comes to you. Then, if coding doesn't seem like the right fit, then pursue the IT.
Slims, I have personal involvement with both. I'll be glad to advise you via PM. Just contact me.
Before I dropped out of college - I went to school for computer science and engineering. If I had to turn back the hands of time, then I would've stayed in that field. In this day and age, there are so many businesses and companies that are in need of developers to create programs that can analyze, track, and monitor data.

If I would've stayed in - I would've been creating programs that could track diseases and such in different hospitals. Nevertheless, the possibilities with being a good coder would've been endless.

But anyway, what I gathered from taking courses on Java and C+ is that learning code is like learning a different language, literally. Also, the darn algorithms that you had to come up with to make the code flow . . . argh.
Get into programming. Even if you're a bad programmer you're going to make more in the long run than you will being a good sysadmin or netadmin. I mean the comparison isn't even close. In fact, don't even worry about picking up and becoming a virtuoso at any one single language. Instead learn the theory and logic of programming in general, since with only slight variation all languages follow the same types of concepts.

You can thank me later.

Also, I'd argue that programming is less like a language or an art, and more like being able to know and understand recipes. Yes, that means there's plenty of room for creativity (like art). It also means there are also certain orders of operations and combinations (like language). But in the end it's like working on multiple recipes in a kitchen, usually as part of a team.
^^^^^^^^
that
  • Lusty
  • 05-12-2015, 08:37 AM
One other avenue you may consider is IT security. I have an army of programmers and network engineers that work for me and they are a dime a dozen. While there will always be a demand for those skills, IT security is trumping everything these days and probably will for the foreseeable future. I just can't find enough good, qualified security people and I know many other IT executives that are in the same situation. If I had the opportunity you have I would consider getting a CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional) certification. Be aware that it is not an easy certification to get. The tests are hard and not everyone passes on the first try. But you should be able to command top dollar compared to programmers and even Cisco CCNA certified professionals.

Never thought I'd be giving IT career advice on a hooker board...lol

Good luck to you!
You are all so helpful, thanks again!

I will be PM'ing you folks today for sure.

It's still a tug of war between Prog'ing and IT but I will make a decision soon. I'll be checking out programming sites and things. Going tomorrow to talk to an advisor at a nearby community college.

Thanks again!
I've been in software (as a developer, manager, and architect) my whole career, so I have a bias. I'm also younger than most of these guys, so feel free to take my advice with a grain of salt.

Talk to people that do each of those things every day, find out what a typical day feels like, and do the one you would have the most fun doing. Chances are you're going to spend a significant percentage of your life doing this, and trust me, how much you enjoy it will show through in your work and will drastically affect your career.

Absolutely do not take a career just because it pays an extra 5k out of school. Your level of passion will determine how well you do much more than which discipline it is. Everybody I've worked with who cared deeply about and enjoyed their work have all moved in the upward direction. Everyone who didn't tended to flatten out pretty early.
CCNA would help tremendously, but necessary? No. I got my foot through the door without it. I do have a degree in networking so that did it.
I've always wanted to get into networking. Fixing issues is very gratifying. Programming was never really my thing...maybe cause it's so complicated. Lol!
Do NOT go to college to learn how to program. Any good programmer is self taught.
Messaged you blue3122... Thanks everyone for your advice.
  • NYr
  • 05-12-2015, 09:14 PM
Which do you enjoy more? programming can be tedious and a pain. Admin you interact with users and others more.

If just financial I would say programming but not to do programming, but to then transition that into security...that is where the money is and will be for a while in IT.
Plenty of opportunity in both paths. Also, many paths under the IT\networking umbrella to focus in on as well. Once you start venturing down that path you'll find things that interest you more than others...email, servers (linux - windows), desktops, cloud, networking, etc, etc.

I imagine the programming side has just as many paths as well.

I suggest signing up for a free trial account at some of the really good IT training sites such as pluralsight, cbtnuggets, or lynda.com and try a few of the intro courses to some of the things you want to know more about and see if they interest you...most have both IT and Programming topics.
  • TazD
  • 05-12-2015, 10:24 PM
Really just take some time and pick up some free online tutorials and see where you find yourself going "hmm" and wanting to dig in. IT is such a broad field ... perhaps you'll find yourself better suited to DevOps where you can flex network, security, and programming skills all at the same time. Feel free to PM and I'd be happy to chat.