SUSHI IN AUSTIN ?!?!

For the last night in Austin I want sushi !!!
What is the best sushi in Austin ??
I still haven't been to Kome, but after frequenting both Uchi and Musashino, I'd say Musashino. It's more traditional than Uchi or Uchiko and not as pricey.
Umi's on the far South Side.....
Uchi's in South Austin
Sushi Sake in the Arboretum
Sushi Zushi down town or in the Domain
Odaku Sushi North Austin
Baluga's in South Round Rock

I visit all the above multiple times a year..... but Umi's and Sushi Zushi at the Domain are my 2 favorites.

If your "bi" and would like a little "Latina Sushi" early this evening PM me! My GF has been craving a little herself.
I'm on the north side of Austin =)
Tomo or Kenichi downtown. I love Uchi though. Tough to beat.
  • Toyz
  • 02-18-2015, 01:03 PM
Yah not going to try and be trendy...UCHI. Its a must take for any out of town friends or family that visit.

Uchiko is good but I prefer the intimate ambiance of UCHI.
Komoe Suchi Kitchen on 49th and Airport.

Great food.. authentic
Soto in North Austin is really good. I've been to Tomo and Soto is definitely better.
I love me some sushi! ThAnks for the suggestions!
I like D K Sushi & Seoul Asian Food Market better than Komi or Uchiko. The old Japanese chef standing there is just the quality guarantee himself.
somethingbig...DK is Korean, not Japanese.

Kome, on Airport, is good and was in Food & Wine's Top 10 New Sushi Restaurants 2 years ago. Owned by a Japanese husband and wife (who used to operate the excellent Sushi-a-Go-Go trailers..);

Uchiko, on N. Lamar, is marginally better than Uchi for sushi. Now that the original kitchen staff has scattered to the far winds, Uchi is no longer as good as it once was (I used to eat there once a week...);

Tomo, in North Austin, has a chef that worked with Nobu Matsuhisa and is a casual place with decent prices (and gets its fish from the same supplier at Uchi/Uchiko);

Soto, in way far North Austin, is pretty good if you're in the area. Chef is Chinese and the staff knows very little about authentic Japanese food but the fish is fresh and well-prepared (stay away from the 'super white tuna' on the menu which is a fish called escolar that can give you a bad time - it's banned in Japan for good reason).

Those are the four that I would go to in Austin. Sorry, there isn't anything downtown or in S. Austin that I would recommend.
I've been to all of the popular Austin Sushi restaurants.
We have a lot of great places to choose from, but my hands-down favorite for over 10 years is Musashino Sushi Dokoro. Yum.
Way past when it will help OP, but in the interests of future search engine hits resulting in happy courtesans and clients, hopefully together, I echo the previous recommendations for Musashino, primarily for its old skool charms. There is a time and place for modern, chic, luxe sushi, and I've tried them all in this town, but in the end my proclivities are inclined more towards the Jiro end of the spectrum than the more Vegas-biased end, and Musashino appeals to that ethic in me. It didn't hurt that a visiting Japanese (Osaka-raised, Tokyo resident) friend pronounced the food there authentic, after eating more in one sitting than I've ever seen them consume before.

Sadly, Sushi Pimp Night at DK Sushi is another bygone institution. Workmanlike sushi. Outré owner.