Best phone app for a second number

Just wondering what apps people use for a second phone number.
How is the reliability, security and cost?

I have used google voice but have had issues with it working properly. Occasionally i dont get calls or messages on GV.

would love to gather some intel on the best way to do a "hobby phone"
I've been using Google Voice for years with no real problems.
I use text now, its also free
I use "Burner" for Android.
Google Voice - never had an issue and I have used it for years
I use google voice and Im trying to find a number app too! I keep having issues with it sending and receiving texts.
I have given my GV number to ladies but when they try to call me the calls dont go through. i have been told several times that they tried the number and it doesnt work. i do know that some calls go through.
Text now works fine for me. Free and easy to. Change numbers if needed also
I have a tracfone SIM in an old unlocked iPhone. Every couple of months I buy a card for minutes, texts and data. It's worked extremely well for me over the last 7-8 years.

I also have TextNow app. I use it to weed out spam, then give my Trac number if everything checks out, but sometimes the texts/calls don't always go through with the app.
seems all the text app numbers have an issue with staying on. most phones stop an app. to keep battery drain down.
I’ve used TextNow…some people have complained about it but I’ve never had any issues. I just started using TextFree and that has worked out equally as well. That app doesn’t provide free unlimited calling but does provide free texting. TextMe did something with their security to fight spam and i haven’t been able to send a text for over a week on it. With all of the apps you’ll lose your number if it’s not used every so often…could be two weeks, could be a month.. it varies by app. DO NOT text your real number just to keep it active. Text your number on a different app. Nothing in life is free and compiling a list of numbers that SMS messages successfully go through to are “good numbers.” Lists of good numbers can fetch a nice buck for marketing purposes and you don’t want your real number to end up on that list.
I use hushed it's $5 month unlimited text and calls.
lots of good ideas to try out. Thanks. I think Hush may be a good low cost paid option.