Does open relationships Really work?

Ive been thinking about having a open reltionship. I never had one before but always wanted to try it out.
Im asking if anyone ever had one, and if so did it work out to your expectations. Im not talking about threesomes are swingers when your partner nows. Im talking about when they now your free to do what you want and no checking the phone or asking where have you been. And same to you. Not asking anything either.
Thanks
Well if both agree, why not.

Can i ask you out? We can go from there.

I can cook.
  • eve
  • 07-25-2011, 10:18 PM
I agree with DaChef... both have to agree
I agree w/ chef and eve......both have to absolutley clear and be 110% on board with it....if not there will always be an inherent imbalance that will make one of the couple feel denied and if left unresolve leads to frustration , anger...etc
Why dont i take your mind off of it.....let Eve and i tie you to the bed and work you over for an hour or so.............hmmmm, that doesnt sound bad....
It doesnt work.
Mission impossible................
Maybe at first but not for long.
What is the difference between an open relationship and friends with benefits?
Is it simply that at the end of the day you 'have each other' still?
I would think in this case the openess would be more one sided and less mutual.

Is it the water in Canada, or is it just me?
Maybe at first but not for long. Originally Posted by Shake_N_Bake
+1. It may start out ok but some one will get jealous.
IMO and experience I think as long as both partners are in agreement at the end of the day it can work. People need sexual variety to keep their sanity. My SO and myself have are long terms goals after all the years together. We also know that the flesh is week and as humans we have needs.
What is the difference between an open relationship and friends with benefits?
Is it simply that at the end of the day you 'have each other' still?
I would think in this case the openess would be more one sided and less mutual. Originally Posted by Shayla
Not much difference. Friends with benifits rarely last too long and the same goes for open relationships...
Always wanted to try one but never did. I kave a close friend (fraternity brother) who made it work perfectly. He and his wife had an open relationship right from the beginning and are still married MANY years later. Unfortunately, I never lived close enough to them to benefit :-(
It does work but you need very open and great communication to build trust to avoid jealously issues.
I have stayed away from such arrangements, but have been the "therapist" dealing with the jealously, hurt, bending of the rules and even dare I say on this website, shame for both male and female friends who have experienced thressome, swinging and open relationships. From what I have determined, it only can work if both parties maintain the same dynamics of the relationship for a mental and emotional level. If one of the parties changes in their perspective of life, whether it be mental, emotional, spiritual or even intellectual then the "balance" that is needed to be maintained is lost and the damage can be far greater then normal problems in a relationship. The question that has to be asked is the possible fallout of opening a relationship worth the risk?