Tops or Wegmans

• GP
  • 11-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Which grocery store do you prefer overall (no specific categories)? Please vote! Basically looking for a comparison between Buffalo and Rochester.

I added the "I live somewhere else" for people who feel they need to vote, but don't live in the 2 choices.
Wegman's is a better store, but I go to Top's for the self check out.
  • MC
  • 11-05-2011, 02:37 PM
The poor grad student votes Dollar General.

Out of the two though, I go to Tops more. Haven't been to a Wegman's in years.
The poor grad student votes Dollar General. Originally Posted by MC
Try Aldi's.
Wegmans. We take it for granted, but it is the best supermarket chain in the country and is the envy of other cities that don't have it (I lived in some of those cities).

I am greedy, and would like to see Trader Joe's here too.
wegmans

If they are open, there is a cashier. Went to Tops late night not long ago with a provider. self check. I hate self check.
  • cnym
  • 11-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Tops,
It is closer to me and a lot more convenient.
Wegmans is always too busy, you need to walk 3 miles to find what you want, and with 20 cashiers open, it still takes you too long
Treasure Island and Potash Brothers in Chicago. (If they still exist)
I am greedy, and would like to see Trader Joe's here too. Originally Posted by jackfengshui
I've got Trader Joe's and Whole Foods but it just doesn't compare to Wegmans.

I was disappointed with my last Wegmans trip though. What's up with the hords of people fighting over free samples? Is that something new?
My Wegmans story:

We were doing a national search to fill an opening at work. We flew in a highly-sought-after candidate we really liked for a second interview and his wife came along. When he was busy with us, she did some driving around herself and stumbled upon Wegmans. Her falling in love with Wegmans helped us seal the deal.
Wegmans will always be better, better produce, vegges, and just all around selection.
And dont forget the Giant Wall of Beer!
I am greedy, and would like to see Trader Joe's here too. Originally Posted by jackfengshui

Jack - Plus 1 on Trader Joe's. Wegmans may be the nicer store and I'm sure I'm in the minority for choosing Tops, but I can get thru Tops a lot quicker than Wegmans. Too many people in Wegmans always going in opposite directions, I have no patience! LOL

But I still have to get to Wegmans once a month to stock up on their French Roast Ground Coffee. $2.49 a can and it's the best
MC - Dollar General Rules!

But folks you forgot Piggily Wiggily, Safeway, and P&C .... woops its not around anymore. How about the A&P/
  • GTJoe
  • 11-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Wegman's for most things except for hot dogs and tripe.
TOPS carries Sahlen's Hot Dogs and I can get tripe there that I can't at Wegman's. Of course this is in Centrally Isolated Ithaca.
you really cant trust the milk,fruit and meats at aldis