Favorite Festivals & Events Coming up?

What are some of your favorite events around Austin and surrounding areas that others may not know about?

I despise cold weather, but am determined to get out more. I'm such a hermit in the winter, but think if I knew of some really cool events around that aren't that expensive, I'd get out more and enjoy myself during the winter months.

I'm not talking about Austin, but anywhere in Texas.
Maybe someone has some good resources?

Thoughts?
Lampassas has the spring hoe festival......not sure on the dates
Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • unagi
  • 02-03-2016, 02:22 PM
I'm going to this at the end of Feb.:

http://www.austinoysterfestival.com/
Girl I know you said not Austin but my 2 fave parties at home are carnaval and eeyores. I never could follow directions well. carnaval is feb 27th and it is Brazilian mardi gras. do not miss these 2 local events!!
check the activity schedule in the Austin Chronicle... 1500 events in Austin this year alone
  • Mokoa
  • 02-03-2016, 06:27 PM
We have one coming up...

Asian New Year Festival

It is held at the same place as the Texas Folklife Festival, the Institute of Texan Cultures.

Think of it as a Folklife Festival focused on the Asian cultures.

This is a marvelous opportunity to experience the various Asian cultures. It includes food, dance, exhibits, lots of items.

Enjoy!
Euphoria Fest ��
  • Loxly
  • 02-03-2016, 10:23 PM
You can always check for current things here: http://www.austin360.com/
Cool. Thank you for the information. I know I can always check out what's going on locally, but just wondered what everyone's favorites are and ones that might be in the surrounding areas like the one Mokoa mentioned.

I've never been to a lot of these huge festivals, because the crowds stress me out. It's just something I'll have to get over.
SXSW and ACL!
My two favorite Austin events is ACL (haven't missed one in 9 years) and Negroni Week. If you haven't heard of the latter, it consists of drinking Negroni's in participating bars all over town for charity.
Luling Watermelon Thump Festival is a lot of fun.
http://www.watermelonthump.com/
I'm going to make a point to go to that this year!
watermelon thump is always fun
I would go to SXSW but I'm afraid the Austin police will engage in another high speed chase in the middle of downtown to go after someone not even suspected of a crime but just didn't want to be pulled over and then run into dozens of bystanders and then be convicted of Capital murder even though there was no prior intent or intent to kill anyone but the whole thing was a tragic accident caused because the police decided to chase someone high speed who just didn't want to pull over.

And then to top it off the victims' families will sue the SXSW for no particular reason because there's nothing they could have done, but no one sues the city for permitting their police to do high speed chases in downtown while a convention is going on.

That's why I won't go anymore.