win7 anti virus program

anyone recommend av software for win7 usage?

it has to be compatible with thunderbird and firefox. I don't use IE unless forced to do so by a website.
Avast has worked well for me. I use Google Chrome so I'd be surprised if it didn't work with Firefox or Thurnderbird. I like to use it in conjunction with Spybot S&D
I use Microsoft Security Essentials. (It's free!) I'm not that computer savvy, but it was recommended by the guy who takes care of my office computers, and he's well-credentialed.
I'm in IT... And I am 100% satisfied with ESET NOD32 (www.eset.com) Very, very small footprint (meaning it will not slow your computer down) and it catches more than most. And, it is cheap. Just do yourself a favor and UNINSTALL any antivirus software before installing it.
Buy a Mac! 4 years without 1 virus, bug, or hiccup and I've never done anything but plug it in when I bought it!
I have trend micro and I hate it!
I use Bit defender seams to work no computer genius here tho
I have trend micro and I hate it! Originally Posted by Tommyboy7070
sounds like you need to change AVS pronto!

why stick with it if you hate it?

I have a MS related AV software that came with win7 and don't really care for it which is the reason for this feed back.
I'm in IT... And I am 100% satisfied with ESET NOD32 (www.eset.com) Very, very small footprint (meaning it will not slow your computer down) and it catches more than most. And, it is cheap. Just do yourself a favor and UNINSTALL any antivirus software before installing it. Originally Posted by cajunmac
eset sounds interesting. are you familiar with eset smart security? it has more features than the nod32 avs, basically its nod32+ and covers mail programs.
eset sounds interesting. are you familiar with eset smart security? it has more features than the nod32 avs, basically its nod32+ and covers mail programs. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
The only thing that ESET Smart Security gives you over NOD32 is the software firewall... Personally, I am not too keen on software firewalls of any kind. If you are worried about IPS or firewalls, go get yourself a good SonicWALL TZ100. Other than that, just use the Windows Firewall and get NOD32.
I also do alot of work with PCs and the only and best AV software to run is NOD 32. I've yet to get any viruis while running this for the last 3 plus years.
Avg has worked well for me...using malwarebytes along with avg 2011 is even better.
Also using AVG and Malwarebytes and has worked good so far no trouble.
The only thing that ESET Smart Security gives you over NOD32 is the software firewall... Personally, I am not too keen on software firewalls of any kind. If you are worried about IPS or firewalls, go get yourself a good SonicWALL TZ100. Other than that, just use the Windows Firewall and get NOD32. Originally Posted by cajunmac
point taken about the firewall, I didn't catch that. It can always be disabled. Don't really need it as I've the router to do that.

but it does have anti-spam feature tho.
  • meth
  • 02-24-2011, 10:52 PM
avg or the new microsoft security essentials...

mse has been getting great reviews and uses very little system resources. i was a strong supporter of the symantec corporate stuff, but many times it would bring systems down to a crawl.